Dodge Charger Forum - Forums and Owners Club!

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forum - Forums and Owners Club! > Dodge Charger Forum - Custom Dodge Charger Performance and Mods Zone - Custom Dodge Charger Mods! > Custom Dodge Charger Interior Modifications & Audio / Video > 7th Gen Dodge Charger

Notices

7th Gen Dodge Charger 2011 -

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
AutoAnything

Old 08-04-2012, 02:12 AM
Dodge Charger Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 AWD
Vehicle Year: 2nd Gen - 2011
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Tungsten
Rep:1189
joemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud of
Exclamation True Low Level AMP Signals from the Deck - Not Line-Out-Converter (2011+ vehicles)

tl;dr: PAC makes a REAL line-level adapter for adding aftermarket amps. Tested and proven clean unfiltered signal. This is NOT a speaker-level converter, but rather an adapter so you can use the line-level signals directly from the stereo.

As you may know, newer Dodge vehicles have a separate factory amp which the stereo sends low-level signals to. The problem with simply using this low-level signal is that it has no volume, balance, or fade adjustments on it. The stereo communicates with the amp via the CANBUS network to tell the amp to raise the volume, lower the volume, balance, fade.

Now, one could use the high-level signals going to the speakers with a high-to-low converter (line-out converter) but you'll be sending a filtered signal to your amps by doing this. The factory amp lowers the bass level at higher volumes to protect the speakers - not something you want when running your own amp!

There are other devices which claim to re-build the bass signal and they do a good job when tuned correctly, but the signal is still not "straight from the horses mouth" so to speak.

So I purchased a PAC C2A-CHY5 which promises to give a clean un-filtered line-out from the factory stereo. This adapter takes the low-level signal from the stereo (before it gets to the amp) and listens to the CANBUS to adjust the volume and balance and fade of the low-level signal for use with external third-party amps.

At first I was wary, wondering if this is really just a high-to-low converter in sheeps clothing. But then I noticed this device gets installed BETWEEN the stereo and the amp, so there is no way it could be pulling speaker-level signals for it's preouts.

This test with the oscilloscope proves that the signal is unfiltered throughout the entire frequency range.

I am very pleased with this adapter and recommend to anybody who wants a nice clean low-level signal for their after-market amp(s).

I took a video of my tests & proof so you can take a look for yourself:

Using a DSO to test the line-out adapter for my 2011 Dodge Charger - YouTube

2011 R/T AWD | PB: 13.869 @ 100.89 mph 8309' DA
Performance: Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger 6psi | DS Trinity w/ CMR tune by Diablotoona | Innovate LC-1 Wideband A/F Unit
Mopar 392 Fuel Pump | Corsa Extreme Cat-back | Mopar 2011 CAI | R1 Concepts drilled & slotted rotors
Appearance: BT Polished under-hood-kit | Illuminated Door Sills | I think I need more... Suggestions?

Last edited by joemosfet; 08-04-2012 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Adding 2011 to title
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2012, 02:20 AM

Vehicle: SXT Blacktop
Vehicle Year: 2nd Gen - 2012
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Pitch Black
Rep:2158
SmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond repute

Good info; I've used their products before, and I've been very pleased with them.

My question is, if I'm just adding a subwoofer amp, will it be practical? I can't recall, but it seems to me that I'd need to run an aftermarket amp for my other speakers then too.

Injen CAI, Dynomax/Magnaflow exhaust, Diablosport Intune tuner, Oracle White Plasma Halos, billet catch can, various pieces of bling and Batgear.

"What doesn't kill you, can only scar you for life". - Smitty
Old 08-04-2012, 02:24 AM

joemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud ofjoemosfet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyRN View Post
if I'm just adding a subwoofer amp, will it be practical?
Yes, definitely. Especially when running a subwoofer amp.

Like mentioned, if you use the speaker-level outputs from the amp using a Line-Out converter (i.e. tap into the wires going to the speakers on the back deck), as you increase the volume, you'll notice the bass gets quieter.

The stock amp protects the speakers by lowering the bass at high volumes.

This makes sure you get unfiltered, un-lowered bass signal for your amp.

This device does not disable the factory amp.

edit: some terminology that I use

Line-Out-Converter: (OK)
This is your regular, run-of-the-mill 15 dollar high-to-low converter. It taps into the wires going to your speakers and uses resistors to lower the voltage to the level an amp can use.
Your subwoofer amplifier will be boosting a low-then-filtered-then-high-then-low-again signal resulting in lost bass at high volumes.

Signal Rebuilder: (Better)
This is a device which also taps the wires going to the speakers, but has a bunch of extra circuitry to attempt to re-build the missing bass as the volume goes up.
AudioControl LC2i, JL CleanSweep are a couple of examples of these.

Line-Out-Adapter: (Best)
Notice this doesn't say converter - there is no conversion going on. This makes a true line-out available for consumer use. The PAC device mentioned falls into this category.

Performance: Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger 6psi | DS Trinity w/ CMR tune by Diablotoona | Innovate LC-1 Wideband A/F Unit
Mopar 392 Fuel Pump | Corsa Extreme Cat-back | Mopar 2011 CAI | R1 Concepts drilled & slotted rotors
Appearance: BT Polished under-hood-kit | Illuminated Door Sills | I think I need more... Suggestions?

Last edited by joemosfet; 08-04-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:22 PM

SmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond reputeSmittyRN has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet... ordered one today. FYI for everyone, I snagged one on Amazon for less than $40.

Question... where does it install physically on the car?

Injen CAI, Dynomax/Magnaflow exhaust, Diablosport Intune tuner, Oracle White Plasma Halos, billet catch can, various pieces of bling and Batgear.

Last edited by SmittyRN; 08-04-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Charger
Rep:9352
lowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh boy this might be what I need! Thanks for that test! I am having my stereo installed by a competent installer and one of my buds..But as I try to understand this, I am for sure lost in alot of areas even though a few people have tried to break this down for me. LOL....I have never kept the factory deck, but I know this is a must on the 2011+.

^^So with that being said, I can run my bass amp and my highs amp off just this one PAC correct?

And I was looking at the below piece from Hifonics. Do I run this with the above, or is the below attempting to do with what the above you posted does?

http://www.hifonics.com/Hifonics_OEM...ation_MX1.html

Thanks for this insightful info!

Click Here To Check Out My Charger Build On Car Domain
Old 08-04-2012, 08:48 PM

What you would use would be the PAC, your own amps, and all the wire 'n stuff you need to go with it.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:50 PM

lowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond reputelowriderman3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sweet... ordered one today. FYI for everyone, I snagged one on Amazon for less than $40.

Oh wow! Thanks for that info! Just ordered one too!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
What you would use would be the PAC, your own amps, and all the wire 'n stuff you need to go with it.
Ya that part I understand. But do I have any use for that other piece I posted above. Or does that serve the same purpose more or less, but not as great as the PAC.

Also can we totally remove the factory amp?

This sheds a little light on trying to understand as to why we even need this. I like to learn, and props to the OP for this video!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:23 PM
504 Boy

Vehicle: 2012 Blacktop
Vehicle Year: 7th Gen - 2012
Rep:6851
210Blacktop has a reputation beyond repute210Blacktop has a reputation beyond repute210Blacktop has a reputation beyond repute210Blacktop has a reputation beyond repute210Blacktop has a reputation beyond repute210Blacktop has a reputation beyond repute210Blacktop has a reputation beyond repute210Blacktop has a reputation beyond repute210Blacktop has a reputation beyond repute210Blacktop has a reputation beyond repute210Blacktop has a reputation beyond repute

Good info here for sure.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
That is a VERY good question, and I forgot to address this.

I first tried to install it down at the driver's kick panel where the amp is. This didn't work for me because of 1 reason:

I have the Lockpick C8. The Lockpick and the PAC don't play well together unless they're conected in the correct order:

Car Stereo -> PAC Device -> Lockpick C8 -> Factory Amp

Because my Lockpick needs to be installed behind the deck, this means I need to put the PAC there too (cables aren't long enough, yadda yadda).

The PAC also has a spare black ground wire that they say only gets used in some installs. My install required this.

I removed the center console (4 screws underneath the mat inside the console) and was easily able to run the RCA cables to the trunk under the carpet in the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowriderman3 View Post
Ya that part I understand. But do I have any use for that other piece I posted above. Or does that serve the same purpose more or less, but not as great as the PAC.
No, you'd have no use for the HiFonics device. You'd want the HiFonics device only if this PAC device didn't exist. They serve the same purpose - provide the amp with a clean low level signal.

The HiFonics falls into the Signal Rebuilder category.

Quote:
Also can we totally remove the factory amp?
Sure. Though I'm not sure how would would remove it without tearing apart the dash, it's crammed pretty tight above the parking brake pedal.

Quote:
This sheds a little light on trying to understand as to why we even need this.
Great! I guess the reason why I wanted it:

I started with an AudioControl LC2i device (similar to the hifonics device you mentioned) but even after months of using it with my subwoofer amp, I couldn't get it tuned exactly how I felt it should be.

It was kind of like looking at a photograph that had been blown up then shrunk then photocopied then blown up again.

Sure the details are there, and you can try to correct for any mistakes made along the way, but it will never be as clear as the original photograph.