Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Rallye with Plus Package
2,014 Posts
The '06 RT came with either 18 or 20 inch wheels, depending upon trim or options. I don't know why it wouldn't work. Just be aware that your speedometer may be off if you change the tire size to something that has a different diameter. You can use an online tire calculator to see what the difference would be.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The '06 RT came with either 18 or 20 inch wheels, depending upon trim or options. I don't know why it wouldn't work. Just be aware that your speedometer may be off if you change the tire size to something that has a different diameter. You can use an online tire calculator to see what the difference would be.
The 2006 R/T did not come with 20" wheels as an option at all; that was SRT only until 2007.
Hello! I’m new to the forum. I have a question concerning my 06 Charger. I want to go with 20 in rims on the rear, and 18 in on the front. Will that work?
Thanks,
Ro
The question here is why?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do!
Thank you so much!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2006 R/T did not come with 20" wheels as an option at all; that was SRT only until 2007.

The question here is why?
The reason is none other than to give it a little hot rod look, and I was listening to this guy who painted my car, telling me I should. The more I think about it now, I find myself asking the same question. Why? 🤔

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The reason is none other than to give it a little hot rod look, and I was listening to this guy who painted my car, telling me I should. The more I think about it now, I find myself asking the same question. Why? 🤔
Here's the problem; with an 06 you can't fit a plethora of tire back there without custom wheels. You can't even use OEM SRT wheels without a spacer up front so everything clears. This was my old 2006 R/T sitting on SRT springs, with a Brembo conversion, OEM 06 SRT wheels with the rears widened an inch on the inside. 275's up front, 295 is about as wide as you get in the back:
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

·
Hey y'all, watch this!
1,685 Posts
Do believe that your tire diameter from front to back can't vary more than 5% or you you might start throwing codes. That does not mean you can't change wheel sizes, just the tire ODs need to be close. May want to verify before you change if you're going for the raked look.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the problem; with an 06 you can't fit a plethora of tire back there without custom wheels. You can't even use OEM SRT wheels without a spacer up front so everything clears. This was my old 2006 R/T sitting on SRT springs, with a Brembo conversion, OEM 06 SRT wheels with the rears widened an inch on the inside. 275's up front, 295 is about as wide as you get in the back:
View attachment 126982
View attachment 126981

·
Registered
81 Posts
1st question why. That's like old school 50's, 60's, 70's look. Back then, you could get by with anything. No computers, no "tuned" suspensions or braking systems.
Can you physically do it, yes. But, you will run into drivability problems if you vary the outside diameter by much. And that was the whole reason for doing it, different tire sizes.. The traction control isn't going to like it one bit. It will kill the throttle possibly in a straight line randomly and definitely turning a corner. Handling will change and it could drive funky. I bought an '07 with stock 18's aluminum wheels. Previous owner was broke so they just put on whatever 18's they could find cheap. Front tires were one size bigger than stock, rear tires were one size smaller than stock. So I had a Charger doing the Carolina squat. Funky looking no doubt. Speedometer was dead on, how, I dont know. But, traction control didn't like it at all. You'd turn a corner and it'd just die it felt like. It didn't die, traction control kicked in and shut the throttle off basically. Let off the gas, hit it again and itd take off fine. It might go around 10 corners fine, then do it again on the 11th time. Very dangerous when in traffic.
I swapped tires front to rear, larger tires on rear, smaller tires on front. I instantly could tell the difference in a 1/2 of a block. Drove way better but it still would kill the car randomly going around corners.
You can do it if the outside diameter is very close to the same big that kind of negates the purpose of doing it. Short sidewall on the rear, tall sidewall on the front. It'll drive funky too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1st question why. That's like old school 50's, 60's, 70's look. Back then, you could get by with anything. No computers, no "tuned" suspensions or braking systems.
Can you physically do it, yes. But, you will run into drivability problems if you vary the outside diameter by much. And that was the whole reason for doing it, different tire sizes.. The traction control isn't going to like it one bit. It will kill the throttle possibly in a straight line randomly and definitely turning a corner. Handling will change and it could drive funky. I bought an '07 with stock 18's aluminum wheels. Previous owner was broke so they just put on whatever 18's they could find cheap. Front tires were one size bigger than stock, rear tires were one size smaller than stock. So I had a Charger doing the Carolina squat. Funky looking no doubt. Speedometer was dead on, how, I dont know. But, traction control didn't like it at all. You'd turn a corner and it'd just die it felt like. It didn't die, traction control kicked in and shut the throttle off basically. Let off the gas, hit it again and itd take off fine. It might go around 10 corners fine, then do it again on the 11th time. Very dangerous when in traffic.
I swapped tires front to rear, larger tires on rear, smaller tires on front. I instantly could tell the difference in a 1/2 of a block. Drove way better but it still would kill the car randomly going around corners.
You can do it if the outside diameter is very close to the same big that kind of negates the purpose of doing it. Short sidewall on the rear, tall sidewall on the front. It'll drive funky too.
Thanks! You are definitely right! Every since I change the tire size in the rear, I’ve been having all type of issues with traction and the car not performing well at all. Going to go back to 18’s all around.
Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yout
Thanks! You are definitely right! Every since I change the tire size in the rear, I’ve been having all type of issues with traction and the car not performing well at all. Going to go back to 18’s all around.
Thanks
You can change tires and wheel sizes, they just need to be close to the same diameter. Probably no more than 1/2 difference in height. One thing to watch for is different tire brands or even models. Even though they are the same "size", there can be a lot of differences in diameter. You should pair tires front to rear if they are different brands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yout

You can change tires and wheel sizes, they just need to be close to the same diameter. Probably no more than 1/2 difference in height. One thing to watch for is different tire brands or even models. Even though they are the same "size", there can be a lot of differences in diameter. You should pair tires front to rear if they are different brands.
Gotcha! Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts