Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the thread speaks for itself. Is there anyone out here who is interested or has thought of doing such madness. I want to know because it’ll be one heck of a sleeper. And I am also interested in doing so. Good or bad idea? Parts kits needed? Possible total cost?

Don’t hate appreciate

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Cost of used hellcat engine and the trans that will hold up - used about $20,000-$30,000
Cost of upgraded driveshaft that won't explode - depends on whether you use OEM or aftermarket, also goes along with whether you upgrade with a '15 and newer rear diff and axles (requires cradle swap) or a slightly older Getrag, all of the above will be well in excess of $1000 to $2500
Exhaust system - just stock replacement used will be over $1000 in most cases (manifolds to tips)
Brakes - best not be running stock 06 R/T brakes in a hellcat powered vehicle, either full on Brembo swap (about $1200-$1500) or aftermarket (full set well in excess of $2000)
Saved the best for last. Say you wanna have this be a proper functioning street car. Your stock PCM will NOT run that engine nor will your stock TCM run that 8HP90. So you will either have to do some harness magic to use the stock hellcat PCM or pull the crank, swap tone wheel and lock the VVT phaser. According to Hotwireauto, adapting a VVT engine into that old a CAN bus vehicle causes some loss of function (like cruise control). You will still need the harness that adapts the ZF to older CAN bus (yep, these exist now) that runs $1000 on its own; will also need the electronic shifter to go with it, about $100-$200. Say you decide to swap a stick shift in, then you have the cost of a trans, tunnel mods, pedal and clutch master & slave cylinders plus computer flashing so your PCM doesn't have fits. Then on top of all that, someone has to tune both engine and trans (if auto) for you; that varies directly by shop/tuner.
Labor - which is what will ultimately kill you even if you are able to do some of it.
Shipping - you're in GUAM!!!!

By the time this is added up, I could fly my happy ass to TX and buy a $45,000, 28,000 mile Hellcat Challenger 6sp right now and still have money left over. Just the cost of the engine alone is going to be about 5 times what your car is worth.

You'd be ahead of the game building a stroked 5.7/6.1 with a blower, getting a built NAG1 (or swapping in a ZF), upgrading the rear, axles, driveshaft and brakes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all that information. Just wondering if has ever been done. With the totaling cost at that a second hand hellcat sounds fabulous. Haha thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts