Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 07 charger and I get the code P0501 VSS A. It feels like its stuck between 2nd and 3rd gear. Once it starts moving after about 10 seconds a red ! Lights up on the dash(brake light?) And it stops working correctly.

Also got codes for both back and front left wheel speed sensors. Changed those but those codes didn't go away.

Help

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
P0501 - VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR 1 PERFORMANCE
Set Condition:
This code will set if no vehicle speed signal is received from the TCM Module for more than 11 seconds. This code will set if no vehicle speed signal is received from the ABS Module up to 120 seconds.

Unequal tire circumferences can cause this DTC (diagnostic trouble code).
You need a OBD2/CAN scanner that's capable of scanning CAN Bus communication DTCs to see if there's any CAN Bus errors, Front Control Module or Transmission Control Module errors getting logged (CAN = controller area network).

Sounds like your car is going into limp-in mode. The vehicle speed sensor rationality is a continuous test that monitors the vehicle speed sensor for lack of activity. The rationality will not run if a limp-in condition exists for MAP, Throttle Position, Crankshaft Sensor, Camshaft Sensor, and Engine Coolant Temperature (MAP = manifold absolute pressure). Problem could also be with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I'm not familiar with the details of that scanner. Apparently the Equus 3100 Innova can retrieve Generic codes (P0,P2, P3 and U0) and Manufacture Specific codes (P1, P3 and U1). If it's an ABS problem a lot of the ABS code are Cxxxx codes which may not get read with the scanner.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
The scanner I use is BlueDriver. https://www.bluedriver.com/
It's $99.95 for the OBD2 plug-in device and you use your smartphone or tablet as the display. The smartphone app is free to download from the Apple or Android app stores. The smartphone app communicates with the OBD2 device/sensor via Bluetooth.
Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) running iOS 7.0+
Android devices (phones, tablets) running Android 4.0+

Software updates for both the OBD2 device and the smartphone app are free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will that display what I need?

any suggestions in the mean time? ive been doing some reading and it looks like it could also be the two sensors in the tranny or the tone rings? any truth to this before i start throwing more parts at it

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
The front wheel speed sensors use a tone wheel (tone ring) that's attached to the hub and bearing (RWD), or front half shaft (AWD), as a trigger mechanism.
If you have ABS brakes there's a wheel speed sensor for each front wheel. If you don't have ABS brakes there's one front wheel speed sensor ... it's attached to the right front knuckle and is used to provide wheel speed information.
If you have ABS brakes there's also one wheel speed sensor mounted to the rear of each rear knuckle. The wheel speed sensors uses a tone wheel attached to the rear axle half shaft as a trigger mechanism.
If you have the 5-speed (NAG1) transmission there are two speed sensors, N2 and N3, fixed to the shell of the electrohydraulic control unit in the transmission. Signals from the speed sensors, N2 and N3, are recorded in the transmission control module (TCM), together with the wheel and engine speeds, and processed into an input signal for electronic control. Speed sensor N2 records the speed of the front planetary assembly and speed sensor N3 records the speed of the K1 clutch.

The BlueDriver reads all codes (ABS & TCM) and if there are codes you can look at the Freeze Frame information as well as the Mode-6 information to help diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i drive a rwd with abs so i guess that answers that question.

Im gonna grab a bluedriver and see what it spits out and report back. Thanks

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I forgot to mention you can also view live data with the BlueDriver. You can view any of the Dodge Charger supported PIDs (parameter ID) while the engine is running or as you're driving the car. The live data PIDs are all engine related so it will not help with ABS codes but it's useful when diagnosing oxygen sensors, air/fuel mixture, etc...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts