Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Im in desperate need for help... im in Texas and my air conditioner is giving me problems.

It's blowing warm air on the passenger side, and semi-cold air on the driver side.

Its the regular single zone AC. I recharged the AC refrigerant, i changed the blend door actuator under the passenger dash, and no changes.

Any ideas? Will this be a huge cost to fix?

The car still runs great for being a 2008 and only has 75k miles, but not having AC is unbearable in TX.

Thanks for any help!!!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means, but here are a couple things you could check. First, with the A/C running and fan on high, open the hood and see if the compressor is cycling fairly rapidly. There is an electric clutch that locks the compressor to the A/C pulley. If the car is hot and the A/C is on, fan on high, the compressor should be engaged (running) for several minutes at a time. If it's cycling on/off/on/off every 10-15 seconds, you're probably low on refrigerant.

If it passes the first test, check to see if the blend door is fully closed in the direction to block the heat from mixing with the cold air. I believe the actuators are vacuum operated, and if you have a leak in one of the vacuum lines, that would prevent the actuator from working correctly, possibly resulting in the heat being always "on".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since it's single-zone, I don't think it's a blend door. I've had similar issues on my '05 Dodge RAM (single zone). I had an AC shop do a professional recharge on it and that cured it. As I understand it, it's a fairly sensitive system that needs exactly the right amount of stuff in it to work right.

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,494 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means, but here are a couple things you could check. First, with the A/C running and fan on high, open the hood and see if the compressor is cycling fairly rapidly. There is an electric clutch that locks the compressor to the A/C pulley. If the car is hot and the A/C is on, fan on high, the compressor should be engaged (running) for several minutes at a time. If it's cycling on/off/on/off every 10-15 seconds, you're probably low on refrigerant.

If it passes the first test, check to see if the blend door is fully closed in the direction to block the heat from mixing with the cold air. I believe the actuators are vacuum operated, and if you have a leak in one of the vacuum lines, that would prevent the actuator from working correctly, possibly resulting in the heat being always "on".
The actuators are not vacuum they are electric, if the system had to be recharged there was a leak likely. Especially if it did not continue to stay cold. Having just been through this , it was the evaporator and it is not a cheap job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts