Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So it's my second fill-up. I'm averaging 280 miles per tank. At fill up it's taking a strong 16 gallons, this last fill up was 16.93 gallons. I did out the math and I'm getting 16.53 mpgs!!! :eek: - That sucks!
I got the 6 because of the gas mileage "gains". As of right now, my buddy who's daily commute mirrors mine, is getting BETTER mileage out of the V8 Charger! :mad:

·
Registered
447 Posts
That sucks !!! You should get better with some more milage. I would go back to the dealer as I think that you should have a lot better milage then that. :(

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yeah somethin aint adding up even if you were laying into it all the time it should be seeing way better numbers then that. I push my R/T around quite a bit and still average 18mpg by fill up and im a Realtor so I drive mostly showings and short trips very little freeway these days.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
It depends on where youre driving, and what kind of traffic there is in your commute. usually people mileage from NYC is ALOT different from people in rural areas of the country.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I drive about 90 miles a day round trip to/from work. Morning commute is stop and go 45-65mph & my drive home is open highway roads 65-85 mph. Usually I average 20-21.5 mpg with my 5.7L

·
Registered
155 Posts
Short trips and winter formula gas will really cut into your gas mileage. With winter formula gas and cold weather my mpg on my daily driver ('13 Subaru Outback 2.5i) dropped almost 3 mpg from my long-term 13k miles average. Also, from my experience, most people tend to exaggerate their real gas mileage. I would take your buddy's mpg comments somewhat with a grain of salt until you do the actual driving in his car and do the mpg calculation.

We are only averaging 19 mpg on '14 our SXT Plus but the wife drives short, in-town trips so that's pretty much what I expected. We haven't had it on a highway trip yet to see what it will really do. I'm also reserving judgment on mpg until we get above 5k miles on the odometer. That's about the time my Outback mpg improved to what was it's current average of 29.1.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I get 20 mpg average on my commute daily with SXT and the only addition I have is a CAI. You must have a lead foot or go up hill both ways.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I was getting 25.5 mpg average with my 2013 AWD SXT from May until November. Now that the cold weather has hit the average has dropped to 21 mpg due to letting the car warm up a little, plus the fact that the cold will deflate the air pressure in your tires and contract your gasoline as well. But even with all 3 of those variables, your 16.5 mpg is the worst that I've ever heard for the 3.6 vvt. Something is not right there, even for winter months it shouldn't be that bad. That sounds more like Hemi mileage.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I am all city, accelerate fast and get 14ish in my V8.
I checked my mileage for the first time since I got this Charger. I average 7 mpg city and 13-14 hwy. If worried about gas mileage do not get gears and cam.LOL Reminds me of the good ole days, but gas was 25 cents a gallon.:wow:

But a V6 should be getting better gas mileage than that even if you get on it once in a while. I would drive like Grandpa for one tank full and see what you get. Manufacturers typically give you the absolute best you will see WRT MPG.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Summer Gas Mileage: Low 15 mpg range
Winter Gas Mileage: Mid 13 mpg range

Pretty much 100% city driving. The time of year has a large difference on gas mileage. Why?

* Cold weather = richer fuel mixture from denser air. This equals more power, but more gas used.

* Longer idling times and warming up your vehicles.

* Winter gas blends: E10 Blends grant lower mpg.

* People drive slower, which means you're driving longer to your location, and there is more stop-and-go traffic.

All these factors add up to 10-20% less mileage in the winter.

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Some helpful things you can try:

1. change up where you get gas. completely replace the previous gas and run with it and
see if there are any changes.
2. could be a spark plug issue? check the plugs and see if they're wearing ok.
3. check your tire pressure on all 4. winter months lowers air pressure and will affect gas mileage.

Try these out...GL man sucks with the shitty mileage on a 6.

for reference i get 17 city 19 to 20 hwy.

i don't drive slow either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i think it really depends on how you drive...when i first got the car i got like 10 mpg...as i eased off the gas a bit i can get 16 but im sure if i do nothing but coast i can get 20...this is all city driving though...when ever i go to Atlantic city i get anywhere from 21-24...all in all it depends on how heavy a foot you have when driving

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Summer Gas Mileage: Low 15 mpg range
Winter Gas Mileage: Mid 13 mpg range

Pretty much 100% city driving. The time of year has a large difference on gas mileage. Why?

* Cold weather = richer fuel mixture from denser air. This equals more power, but more gas used.

* Longer idling times and warming up your vehicles.

* Winter gas blends: E10 Blends grant lower mpg.

* People drive slower, which means you're driving longer to your location, and there is more stop-and-go traffic.

All these factors add up to 10-20% less mileage in the winter.
THIS.

·
Read Only
1,405 Posts
17-18 MPG in the winter all short trips and city driving. I also use my remote start and that eats up gas as well and my indicator will drop to 14 MPG if I do so usually. This will also go down when I stomp on the peddle which I often do!

On my rare highway trips I've probably averaged 27-28 MPG in the summer and 25 MPG in the winter. I just had a highway trip where I was 90-100 at times and accelerating from 45 up to 90-100 while stomping the gas. When I reached my destination I was at 22 MPG.

Still much better than the 13/18 city/highway I was getting on my 3.5L Intrepid!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm averaging around 13 in my SRT which is all city driving. When i had my 5.7 Daytona i was averaging 15.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I was actually planning on making a post on this same topic, but since it is already here I will ask it.

I've averaged around 13 mpg with no more than 250 miles to my tank and my R/T has about 1000 miles. I live in Minnesota, so I'm removing starting for anywhere from 15-30 minutes a day. Not trying to ignore what was posted earlier in this thread, but I have never had a v8 or a remote start and want to make sure this mileage is completely normal. My daily drive is about 65%/35% highway to city.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts