Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So does anybody care to hazard a guess as to what the failure is on our 8 month old, 5400 mile vehicle?

Symptoms: Jumped in the car after it sat for an hour. It started, attempted to put it in reverse, would not go. Attempted to put it in drive, would not go. Attempted to turn it off, would not shut off! Message on the dash says "you are already in the selected gear".

I proceeded to pull the ignition relay under the hood in order to get the engine to shut off. All interior systems were still powered up - the a/c fan was still running, the radio, etc. was still on. I had to pull the negative battery cable to get everything else to shut off.

Tried this scenario multiple times, with the same result. There is a check engine light and an "envelope" symbol on the dash.

Gave up, called Dodge Road Service to get a tow. Estimated 2 hours to get a tow to me, while I am sitting in the middle of the St. Louis metro area where a tow should have been to me in 15 minutes. Dispatcher sent the driver to the wrong town, when we specifically told them where we were. Two hours and 50 minutes later the tow shows up. He has a roll-back and the shifter won't come out of park. He had to use sliders and drag it onto the roll-back. I'm NOT a happy camper! :TD: They would only tow to the nearest Dodge dealer, which is 30 miles from my house and the selling dealer; the car was delivered to them about 10:30 last night.

I called the service department this morning and gave them the run-down on the symptoms; they can't get it in to even look at it until tomorrow. My guess is a bad electronic shifter, a bad ignition switch, or a bad brake interlock switch, and I'm leaning most heavily towards the bad shifter. Let's hear everyone else's armchair quarterbacking of what the issue will prove to be! :LOL: Oh, and the icing on the cake: "We don't provide courtesy cars for warranty issues" - neither the servicing dealer or the dealer we bought it from. It will be the last car I buy from the dealership I bought it from.

I damn sure hope this is not a harbinger for future issues to come.

·
Registered
348 Posts
a couple of members have had similar issue believe or not wound up being a wheel sensor good luck on the fix

·
Drive it like u stole it!
4,819 Posts
No free rental car?! WTF?! I've been to two different dealers near me and both times I had to take my car in, I got a free rental. Hell, the one time I got a free rental in the morning and returned it the same day in later afternoon when they finished the fix. I was told that normally they have to give you a rental if they need to keep your car more than one day for any service under warranty.

But that sucks though either way. Hope they figure it out quickly and get it back to you asap. Good luck!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bueller? No other guesses? We evidently don't have too many armchair quarterbacks on the forum!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the story from the service advisor goes......

They could not duplicate the issue and there were no stored or history OBD codes. They drove it multiple times and had no issues. She indicated there was a PCM and TCM reflash for the type of symptoms described so they did the update and that is that.

Now I won't trust the car to take it anywhere until it does it again.......

At this point all I can do is hope it was some type of computer "glitch" but call me cynical, because I highly doubt this problem is over.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I'm bringing this one back to the top. It just happened again 3 weeks ago. This time, however, after I pulled fuses to shut the motor off and disconnected the battery to shut the dash, dash lights, and ignition off and then reconnected everything it started. We immediately drove it to the dealership (we were only about 2 miles from it when it happened. Once again, there were no stored codes. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong with it but they did find yet another TSB to reflash the pcm/tcm. It sure doesn't give you a warm/fuzzy about taking the car anywhere. I am prepared the next time, however. The code reader is in the car and I showed the wife how to use it (it's her car). Hopefully it doesn't happen again but if it does, she will see if there are any codes before she pulls fuses and battery cables.

Looking for any additional insight or anyone with similar issues.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I thought I would add some new feedback to this thread for people who may run across it looking for a similar issue. We had sporadic continuation of this issue until the shifter recall was completed, then it stopped for about a year. When it came back, it came back with a vengeance. It happened 3 times in one week in July. We received a recall for the cruise control so I decided to broach the transmission/shifter one more time with the Service department. I wrote a very specific list of the OBD codes, what happened when the issue occurred and what I had to do to get the car running again, the freeze frame data from my reader, and handed it to the Service writer. It probably didn't hurt that I retired and we moved to a different city a year ago, so it was a new servicing dealer. I told them they needed to look up the previous visits for this issue so they were fully informed about what had been done in the past.

They called the next day and said the transmission needed a new valve body but they would not be able to get one until the next day. They called the next day and said "The valve body must have been defective as the transmission is not responding properly". They ordered another valve body, which did not arrive until 2 days later. Got a call the same day it arrived, with the same response. So I said "I assume that means you are going to put a new transmission in it?" They responded they had contacted Engineering and were waiting for a response. Two days later the car was ready, with a new transmission covered under the powertrain warranty.

So far so good, with no new issues for about 5 weeks. I won't believe it is resolved until there are no more failures for about 2 years, since we have had approximately that much time between some of the failures. I always believed it was an electronics issue based on the symptoms, and figured it would never be figured out until a catastrophic failure occurred. We now have a 5 year old car with 51k miles on it, with a new transmission. Wish me luck for the future!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts