Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if it’s worth it to upgrade my base engine to a Hemi? I love my 2.7 but I was told I need a new engine. It’s been sitting for about a year. Help! I got a new battery but I can’t get it to start!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Can anyone tell me if it’s worth it to upgrade my base engine to a Hemi? I love my 2.7 but I was told I need a new engine. It’s been sitting for about a year. Help! I got a new battery but I can’t get it to start!
Not enough data to compute.

If your car is a one-owner cream puff in otherwise mint condition except for the engine, maybe. Otherwise, no, unless you can get the engine and/or skilled labor for free or at a steep discount.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger R/T
9 Posts
Well, honestly you have two separate questions here. ;)

Question #1 - Putting a larger engine into your car entails more than just dropping in the engine. I'll admit I've had my fair share of "drop a school bus engine in a Volkswagen Beetle" pipe dreams...but it's not just "plug and chug". ;) I'm no mechanic but I'm certain others can and will chime in on just how complicated (and expensive) it really is.

Question #2 - Is it worth it? Years ago my dad taught me the concept of "replacement value". Some years ago the transmission crapped out on my Nissan Sentra. A new tranny was $4,700 installed. The car was fairly new - and a very nice car. Could I get an equivalent vehicle for $4,700? So I got a new transmission. That's the question you have to ask yourself - can I get a car as nice as the one I have for the cost of an engine replacement? Do the math and you have your answer. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts