Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres about 60 lbs of torque difference, but is gas mileage around the same? What does the "High Output" mean? I am more for the looks then going fast so a big 5.7l v8 is not for me but do Hemi's come in smaller size engines than the 5.7 or up? Thanks

·
9 Second Club
22,382 Posts
Welcome to the forumZ:TU: The only 2 HEMIs available are the 5.7 and 6.1

As far as the V6s, not too sure what the H/O represents specifically. I have been told the 2.7 isn't enough to power the car and most people go with the 3.5 since the gas MPG is virtually the same. Maybe they put high output because it sounds cooler:D I know there is a reason, Im sure one of the 6 Bangers will chime in here

·
Registered
11,457 Posts
The 3.5 was designated as an HO motor cause it has 250 horsepower. That is awesome output for a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder.

·
Getting back in the game!
24,621 Posts
Take it from me, if you are going to buy a six banger go with the 3.5! My wife's Magnum has the 2.7 and it HAS NO POWER!! You will be a lot happier with the 3.5! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Welcome to the forumz, ScottTubbs. I have a 3.5l SXT and love it. I have done some modifications to make it better performance, but you really won't need to do anything to the 3.5l engine if you choose to go that route. Good luck.

·
PLS EMAIL INSTEAD OF PM
1,208 Posts
I've had both the 2.7 and the 3.5 and now the 5.7. Still have the 3.5 too.

2.7 is, imo, underpowered for the size of these cars. However, unless you're drag racing and use mostly the car for commuting etc, nobody actually needs more power. The 3.5 is a really nice engine and is much stronger than the 2.7. It's a great blend of power and decent fuel efficiency. If you can swing it, go for the bigger V6. It's a better fit for the car and 250 HP is a lot - the only reason it doesn't sound like much is because of how many cars have 300-400 HP these days. I don't believe you'll get much better fuel economy with the 2.7 - it has to work a lot harder than the 3.5 to push the same load, so consumption goes up. Like the 5.7 Hemi. It has a gobs of torque which helps it work less hard than a V6 and it returns pretty good numbers for a V8 - actually about the SAME as the 3.5 on the highway because of cylinder de-activation.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome aboard,the 3.5L engine is the way to go if you don't want a Hemi,If you are all about looks and going to work store or what have ya it's a great car.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
uri has the 2.7L and when we caravan someplace you can hear he really has to push that motor hard just to keep up with us when we are driving at normal speeds. you hear his exhaust screaming. even the 3.5Ls that are driving in the caravans don't sound like they are having a hard time keeping pace.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have the 3.5 and love it. Do i wish i had a HEMI, well of course but with the driving i do (almost 100 miles a day round trip) the 3.5 is great on fuel. Good Luck in whatever you decide on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for the helpful info, 3.5 is what I was leaning towards but just wanted some true advise on the charger. Dealer ships usually just want to sell what ever they have and act like they know the car. Here you guy's truly know the Charger and what not to waste money on. Thanks Again

·
Registered
565 Posts
Welcome to the forumz from Ontario, Canada. You will enjoy your stay, there is a very high level of respect among the users, making this a very enjoyable and unusual place to hang out. I'd go with the 3.5 as well, or if you are doing mostly highway driving (as I am) look into the 5.7 HEMI. I am getting the same mileage as I did in my 300M with the 3.5, but the extra power is just nice to have, if you know what I mean

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Welcome to the forumz from Canada. Glad people were able to steer you in the right direction. Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
105 Posts
3.5 all the way. I had a 96 Intrepid with the 3.5. I drove it hard for 280K miles. Changed the plug, wires, timing belt twice and water pump twice. It ran perfectly and still could burn the front tires. This was the older 3.5 with the dual throttle bodies and a better chip. I have heard nothing but horror stories about the 2.7s.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Welcome to the forumz and good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
Welcome to the forumz.:hey:

·
Registered
5 Posts
First off quit being a troll second the 3.5l by was made for the 84 olds then was reimagined by dodge thank you ho stands for high output yes but once again everyone has jerk and forget the hidden stuff just like the the glhs on all the cars shelby touched for dodge

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not only that but sema 2018 442 Hurst/olds challenger 442 made by oldsmobile acompainied by a dodge transmission check your facts

1 - 20 of 27 Posts