Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

First and foremost please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Derrick, and i just recently bought an 09 Charger SE with 73,000 miles on it. So far i love the car, and i am looking to get every bit of performance out of it that i can. I took my car to Allied Muffler and had Bob from (Blastin Bobs Fat pipes) put his B-62 The Beast 2 split dual exhaust system on my car. I ordered a big bully intake from 3gCustomz, and am still waiting for this in the mail. I have put 22'' black rims with 265/70 R22 tires. My next step is to order the hypertech power programmer, along with the big bully catch can. I am currently looking for someone who knows of a place to make headers for this car, and i place where i can buy a bigger Throttle Body and/or a ported one. Anyone with any other advice as to of what i can do to make this car perform better please let me know.

Thank You
Derrick.

·
Registered
9,709 Posts
I think speedlogix has those ported throttle bodies. But at the end of the day it's still a 2.7L v6 on a 4300 pound car. So not too much can be done.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Well, it looks like you're off to a good start. You aren't going to get too much out of that car considering it is a 2.7L. That hypertech will give you a little bit of a bump, but not too much. You can go for catbacks as well with those headers to give you some more punch.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Looks good so far. Thats about all you can do with out bumping up to a Tubro/Charger set up. Which would be custom and very expensive.

As for the Headers. Many have looked into them, but I have yet to see any. The gains you will get from them and the price they will cost. Don't go over well with most.

Going down to 20's from 22's will help a lot.

I have everything you have listed above on mine, but the headers. All of it together does help the little 2.7L a lot.

If you have changed out the Stock Muffler. Get the V-Tube Muffler from Jones Full Boar. It flows better then the stock one and has the best sound for the 2.7L.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Wouldn't it been smarter to buy an R/T rather than trying to dump a bunch of money into a small V-6?
No.. It wasn't for me. I got such a good deal on mine. I have a much smaller car payment, Cheaper insurance and no matter how fast I drive or how hard I drive it. I always get over 20mpg. You can't do that in a Hemi. I rather not me committed to a higher payment and insurance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I completely agree with ramrod on the cat payment and insurance thing. I live in California where insurance is through the roof in prices and not to mention I have a bad driving record so my premium is very high. Any money I can save is good. Ramrod thanks for the advice on the muffler I will look into that, although I am about to have blastin bob run a true dual exhaust system on my 2.7l does anyone know how to go about putting a heat shield on the gas tank so I can have this done??? Please let me know..... Thank you

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Hey Padlock!

We can get you the ported throttle body and the Hypertech programmer if you need! We don't sell Big Bully catch cans....but we have our own :)

If you'd like to deal with us, we'll put together a nice package for you :)

·
Banned
9 Posts
I bought my R/T new in 07 and never had a payment. I didn't buy it for gas mileage either. If you put a bunch of money into a small motor, thinking it might be something someday, you're wasting time and money.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I bought my R/T new in 07 and never had a payment. I didn't buy it for gas mileage either. If you put a bunch of money into a small motor, thinking it might be something someday, you're wasting time and money.
I'm glad you never had a payment, but most if us do.This isn't what we are doing. I didn't buy mine for the gas mileage either. I bought it b/c it was a sweet looking 4 door. I needed a Family Sedan and the Charger is the best looking one out. Do I wish I had an R/T.. Sometimes, but at the end of the day. I don't really need it. It's my Daily Driver. Point A to Point B. That what it does for me. I've done a bunch to my car on looks and a little on performance boost. Whats wrong with modding the V6's? Can we not make them our own?

If I would have bought the R/T. Which I could have, but it wouldn't have left me any spending money. Therefor my Stock R/T would look stock and be boring to me. I much rather have my Car then a Stock R/T. The R/T Package cost an AVG of $6,000 more new over the SE. I have spent way less then $6000 on mine. Plus Cheaper Insurance and a lower Car Payment.

Bone Stock VS.. Mine

and Mine

·
Banned
9 Posts
A 2.7 V-8 has a rated 190HP at the crank. So if you take the suggested horsepower loss of roughy 30% that leaves you with about 133HP at the wheels. By comparison, my chopper has a 120c.i.motor. It dyno'ed at 135HP at the wheel. My chopper weighs 700 pounds, a Charger weighs 4300 pounds. I don't think you can really do anything to that motor to get anything out of it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here's my two cents; for the exhaust side a Dynomax VT muffler and a set of high flow cats and use the money I would have spent on an after cat exhaust system on a set of custom headers because damn! The stock ones look like they came off a '57 Studebaker. On the induction side, a CAI, ported throttle body, and a ported lower manifold. The Hypertech would be a good place to start but once all the mods were done I would get a CMR tune. And for when I need it a Sneeky Pete Nitrous System.

[url]http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NOS-05029NOS/[/URL]

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Looks nice, but when I stomp on the gas the snot drains out of my nose. Never get that with a V-6.
Hmmm if this is true I would hate to see what all flies out of you if you ever drove an SRT. The OP is just asking for tips and stuff to help the car he owns, if you don't know of anything to help I am sure there are plenty of similar threads in the R/T performance section for you to chime in on.

·
100k Mile Club
11,753 Posts
A 2.7 V-8 has a rated 190HP at the crank. So if you take the suggested horsepower loss of roughy 30% that leaves you with about 133HP at the wheels. By comparison, my chopper has a 120c.i.motor. It dyno'ed at 135HP at the wheel. My chopper weighs 700 pounds, a Charger weighs 4300 pounds. I don't think you can really do anything to that motor to get anything out of it.

Yeah, those 2.7 V-8's are sweet.....:3-smash:

·
Banned
9 Posts
So I made a typo, big deal......... My chopper has better launch than any SRT has, so what's your point? Guy asks for advice, mine is get the HEMI, don't waste your time shining up a turd..........

·
Registered
9,709 Posts
So I made a typo, big deal......... My chopper has better launch than any SRT has, so what's your point? Guy asks for advice, mine is get the HEMI, don't waste your time shining up a turd..........
Alright man. Enough with the v6 hate. We see your HEMI boner, no need to slap the OP with it. There are some bad ass v6s around this forum. To some these cars are for go, and some they are for show. Some both. Everyone has their different flavors.

If the dude wants a little more umph out of his v6 then more power to him. We will help him do that for cheap instead of just telling him to give up and go buy a better car. Not everyone can afford the HEMI and even if they could not all want one. And that's just fine.

·
Registered
9,709 Posts

To padlock. I would guess you get a heat shield off of a rt or srt. Maybe one that has been wrecked and is being parted out. That would be my first guess

·
Registered
935 Posts
Juice, thanks for layin down the ban hammer, guys like him have no place here imo.

On topic:

No matter the trim the charger is a sweet car, With a 2.7 id personally go for more of a show car, snap those necks and drop those jaws man. But giving it a bit of a rumble and a little extra power is good too.

If your car doesnt have a spoiler or a pair of color matched mirror covers, they are absolute musts on the v6's changes the entire look of the car! Also all the performance mods you've listed are great, maybe check out some suspension upgrades. Im sure the guys from speedlogix can hook you up!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts