Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I own a 2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8 with approx. 68xxx KM

In the last week I started noticing that the guage would read above normal. I thought it was perhaps an airpocket and I took the vehicle in for an oil change and had them look it over, they said the fluids looked fine. That was on Sept 9 2010

After the oil change the car still ran hot, above normal. On the 9th in the evening I booked the car in for Sept 10 2010 at 8am for a lookover. The techs fealt the issue was with the thermostat. A thermostat was replaced and fluids topped up for $200.

After picking up the car it seemed alright for the first 5-10 km. Then, same thing happened again. Car started to raise in temps at a steady pace then all of a sudden drop super quick, then raise again slowly only to drop quick again. A quick stop at the dealership had them saying it needed to be pressure tested (this coming monday @ a cost of $70).

Any thoughts that are perhaps outside of what the dealer may be thinking or perhaps some thoughts on what could be the issue.

I enclose a video of the problem.
YouTube - 2006 SRT8 Overheating issue

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thats strange brother man! Sounds like an air pocket to me as well!
Welcome to the forum!

I agree , sir pocket issue , just above the thermostat on Front cover housing is a "plug" / bolt , it is there for air bleeding purposes. raise front end of car , break loose the plug , start the car let it get to normal operating temp. With plug loosened ( dont take it out all they way) let it bleed till all that comes out is coolant in a steady stream , that should take care of any air in the system issues

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bill.

Car has been at the dealer all morning and after a pressure test nothing came up bad. Further investigation is now showing one of the rad fans isnt turning on, so, on we go with that.

They forewarned me about the bill.. 5-700 hundred.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks Bill.

Car has been at the dealer all morning and after a pressure test nothing came up bad. Further investigation is now showing one of the rad fans isnt turning on, so, on we go with that.

They forewarned me about the bill.. 5-700 hundred.
For that much I would do it myself\.:wow:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Those prices are crazy! $200 to change a thermostat??? I don't know how to change the fan but I bet someone on here does.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Rad fan is 2 bolts and one quick disconnect connector. time for removal and install 10 minutes, 30 if you are nervous and slow.

Order the fan yourself or hit up a junk yard if you can find on there that is not ruined.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
They ripped you off big time if they charged 200 for a t-stat and fluids. there's no way. I would seriously complain.

Those prices are crazy! $200 to change a thermostat??? I don't know how to change the fan but I bet someone on here does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealerships are generally overpriced as we all know, add the fact I am in Canada I am sure it doesn't help.

Latest update is as follows. "Forward module" under the fuse box under the hood is fried. Backordered 4-8 business days. Apparently it is very rare for that part to fail. Cost of part, $350 + tax. Labor, $400 + so far.

While you guys might be shocked at the rate for which I have to pay, Im not. Ive dealt with a few dealerships around here over the years and have become accustomed to bending over and saying "thank you sir may I have more" :i_rolleyes:

If I could have diagnosed the issue myself, I would have fixed it myself. There is something to be said about the ease of using dealerships while at the same time, something to be said about the cost.

The funny thing is though they sent me away twice already with the car heating up like that. It has never overheated but has gotten hot. When I said I would bring the car home until the part came in the guy working there (Chris M) went on to tell me how easy it will be to blow my motor if I dont monitor it. The ironic part is he never once mentioned that the other 2 times i brought it in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
an update for anyone following this or searching for the same issues... a reply on another site I made

StealthGXP said:
If I am not mistaken.. they have a TSB out for that Issue.. Fans are a major issue for all SRT-8's

do some homework and make them eat it
I did some research looking into TSBs and or any recalls for the 06 srt8 charger and came up with nothing. I also called Erin Dodge back today to confirm and there is no recalls.

A TSB does not mean they are required to cover it and I assure you, these folks won't.

Now onto the current status of the vehicle. The car has been there a week and they have replaced the forward cooling controller module (believe that is what they referred to it as) and now, automagically one of the fans is no longer working right. The service advisor told me the left fan wasn't turning on and that is why they needed the module. Now they have the module and hes claiming the right side wont turn on. Chris also went on to state that he feels the reason the module blew is because the right side fan is hard to spin, seized up. Yet, according to him it was working 5 days ago and it was the left one not working.

Chris also went on to say the car wasnt cooling at all and that im lucky i didn't pop the motor. WTF, i know the fans were working. You could hear them turn on and not only that, pop the hood and you could feel the heat rushing out. On the second visit I stopped in-front of his service desk door and sat in the car while he looked at it from the bay, fans were on and off the whole time. That is when i made the video

There is no doubt in my mind that something not cool is occurring. Either they are not diagnosing the problem correctly or they are just hosing me for parts. It seems to me that the story changes to suite them best.

When I called Erin Dodge to speak with another service adviser Tish, the tone of the convo was more along the lines of 'oh you poor soul...'ive heard it all before'. lol

Of course, the new fan motor is on back order, so still, no car till next week now and the bill is getting upwards of $1200 + tax (13%)

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
Too bad you're already at Erin. I would have suggested you go to a dealership in Grimsby, the mechanic there actually knows what he's doing, not just testing out parts to see what fixes the problem.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My man save ur money and work on your car urself....these things r too easy to work on especially when it comes to wear items....e.i.brakes, belts, thermostats, etc.....If you r handy around your house trust me you can be handy on your car....And next time come here first before you head to the stealership please!!!! And if you do have a fan issue there is a thread on here that describes in very good detail how to remove and replace one!!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Man, you really need to learn how to do some of these things for yourself. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just saying the things they're doing... especially the thermostat they're basically stealing from you.

Changing the thermostat is REALLY easy... as in changing your own oil is more difficult.

The quote for that fuse box and labor is also ridiculous.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey... Im having the same problem. I changed the thermostat and the noticed that thee fans were both not working. I started checking fuses and relays. Disconnectwd the pos on the battery and now it is like in auto shutdown mode??? Now what?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts