Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All....I have a 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8. The ABS module kept locking up the brakes. The module was bad and needed to be replace. I found a used ABS module with the pump from a 2007 Dodge Charger SRT8, I took both the ABS module and pump from the 2007 SRT and put it on my 2006 SRT. I took it to the dealership for programming. They told me they could not get the ABS to work. They could see the ABS when they plugged it up but could not get it to activate. The problem I have now is the ASB/ESP and traction control lights are on. The brakes are not locking up, however, with all the weight of the SRT8, when you apply brakes on dry surfaces the vehicle comes to a stop slow and the brake pedal is flat. If you try stopping on a wet surface forget it....any wet surface its like stopping on ice. Anybody knows someone that had this problem, how did they get it fixed. The part I don't understand I switch ABS and Pump together..the only different is the year of the vehicles, My 2006 SRT8 the donor 2007 SRT8. I live in Maryland just outside of Baltimore. Thanks

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
What reason did the dealership give for not being able to activate the ABS? Is the ABS module defective or is the dealership Service Tech not expert enough to make it work? What are the ABS diagnostic codes that are getting logged? You need to plug a OBD2/CAN scanner, that can read ABS codes, into the car's OBD2 port to read the codes.
When you replaced the ABS module and pump did you bleed both the brakes and the ABS?
The base brake’s hydraulic system must be bled anytime air enters the hydraulic system. The ABS must always be bled anytime it is suspected that the HCU (hydraulic control unit) has ingested air. Brake systems with ABS must be bled as two independent braking systems. The non-ABS portion of the brake
system is bled the same as any non-ABS system. The ABS portion of the brake system must be bled separately. ABS bleeding requires the diagnostic system used by the dealership or brake repair shop.

First, they bleed the base brake system. Then they use their wiTech diagnostic system to bleed the ABS. Then they bleed the base brake system a second time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back to me. The dealership was a Chrysler dealership. They didn't tell me anything about any codes. I believe the tech didn't have the experience or has never deal with that type of problem before but they sayed they tried everything and kept the car unit the next day. This is the first of me hearing about the dealership is able to bleeding the brakes. They had the car and didn't say anything to me about it. Before I took my car to the dealership. I did bleed the brakes started at the ABS to the rear brakes. The car stopped ok, just don't jam on the brakes you will be fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me. The dealership was a Chrysler dealership. They didn't tell me anything about any codes. I believe the tech didn't have the experience or has never deal with that type of problem before but they sayed they tried everything and kept the car unit the next day. This is the first of me hearing about the dealership is able to bleeding the brakes. They had the car and didn't say anything to me about it. Before I took my car to the dealership. I did bleed the brakes started at the ABS to the rear brakes. The car stopped ok, just don't jam on the brakes you will be fine.
im willing to bet the abs module is different, by that im meaning the architecture of the module you swapped over from the 07 is different then your original one. get me the part# on the module you installed and your original module and i can confirm it. i work on a ton of dodges, when you interchange electronics if its a different model year the module maybe completely different internally.
when swapping used abs module you must do a restore vehicle configuration and the abs initialization with dodge scan tool (witech). if its failing the initilization either the module is bad OR in this case im thinking the module you installed is different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Sir….I think you got it right. Yes, miss-match modules. The problem I’m having nobody in my area knows how program the donor abs module to the computer in the vehicle. The 2006 module is 50581200169…the donor 2007 module 50670400024. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, Sir….I think you got it right. Yes, miss-match modules. The problem I’m having nobody in my area knows how program the donor abs module to the computer in the vehicle. The 2006 module is 50581200169…the donor 2007 module 50670400024. Thanks for your help.
dodge part# is 9 digits with the last two being letters (ex. 68004546AA)
give me the part# on the pump and the module on each unit. i can tell you which part#s will work as long as i know your original module/pump part#s.
as for programming you can either have it done at the dealer OR a mechanic shop with access to techauthority

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I did that twice...took it to a dodge dealership. The last time it was at the dealership for 2 days. They told me they can see the Module, but cant get it to communicate with the car computer. They did not say anything about any codes were displayed.

I also tried that matching pump and module numbers up with a new or used 2006 SRT unit. I seached high and low..couldnt find anything for the 2006 era that would match up. Just to get my car fixed, I was willing to buy a brand new pump and module. The dealership looked into it and advise the 2006 unit has been discontinued. I tried a couple of speed shops and was told they no longer using the equipment to repair the 2006 units. So what do you think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts