Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive pulled a lot of great info off the forum over the years but it’s Time I started asking questions if any one would like to discuss

This was a company fleet car that I’ve had since it was new. I inherited it in 09. I’ve put 205k on the car. It is a true 50/50 mix hwy and local driving. I’ve had a few issues over the years. Bad EGR, water pump, starter, cooling fans. Gas mileage has stayed pretty consistent at 19/25 although in the winter months I’ve seen it go as low as 16 for local. I’ve had the tranny serviced a few times and some front end work done, not a full replacement.

Wondering about a few things and I’m not sure if I should break them up into separate threads but i’ll list them all out here for who wants to get into the discussion.

How far will this motor go. I’d be curious to hear from anyone who still has the car and they have this kind of mileage on it with their experiences are

Concerning maintenance I use the Castrol high mileage synthetic oil 10W-30 and I will usually use a quart or less in 5000 miles.This has been fairly consistent since the car was new. I change the oil and filter every 5 to 7000 miles. What would you folks recommend be the best oil and filter For the motor with this many miles to help have it last longer and at what frequency would you recommend it get changed. Oh and the engine shield fell off when I was on the highway about six years ago and I never replaced it was in the middle of nowhere and it got wedged under the car and got destroyed I was pretty pissed I was in a suit.

So if anyone has any input or thoughts or stories They’ve heard I’d be happy to hear them

Joe

·
Registered
290 Posts
ive pulled a lot of great info off the forum over the years but it’s Time I started asking questions if any one would like to discuss

This was a company fleet car that I’ve had since it was new. I inherited it in 09. I’ve put 205k on the car. It is a true 50/50 mix hwy and local driving. I’ve had a few issues over the years. Bad EGR, water pump, starter, cooling fans. Gas mileage has stayed pretty consistent at 19/25 although in the winter months I’ve seen it go as low as 16 for local. I’ve had the tranny serviced a few times and some front end work done, not a full replacement.

Wondering about a few things and I’m not sure if I should break them up into separate threads but i’ll list them all out here for who wants to get into the discussion.

How far will this motor go. I’d be curious to hear from anyone who still has the car and they have this kind of mileage on it with their experiences are

Concerning maintenance I use the Castrol high mileage synthetic oil 10W-30 and I will usually use a quart or less in 5000 miles.This has been fairly consistent since the car was new. I change the oil and filter every 5 to 7000 miles. What would you folks recommend be the best oil and filter For the motor with this many miles to help have it last longer and at what frequency would you recommend it get changed. Oh and the engine shield fell off when I was on the highway about six years ago and I never replaced it was in the middle of nowhere and it got wedged under the car and got destroyed I was pretty pissed I was in a suit.

So if anyone has any input or thoughts or stories They’ve heard I’d be happy to hear them

Joe
It sounds like you have taken good care of the engine, I owned a 94 minivan with a 3.6 and got to 358,000 miles before I through a piston rod, but I attribute that as my fault because I changed oil grades and went to a heavier oil. 2 things to be cautious of as engines age are lubrication and cooling.
Your routine oil changes at 5,000 are good but the loss of a quart in that time period should be avoided by small top ups say at 2,500. and watch you do not overheat engine keep cooling system in check.
you should be good for another 150 to 200,000 keep same oil

1 - 2 of 2 Posts