Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 2006 srt8 charger with 275000 miles. It runs like a dream and I love driving it. However, it has an issue. When it's warm, it's slow to crank when starting. Almost to the point of not turning over.
I've changed the starter, alternator, battery and earth cables. Even swapped the starter relay. Still no better.
I've seen this problem reported elsewhere but no one mentions if the problem got fixed.
Anyone have any ideas?
It's getting to the point I don't want to take it out as it's getting worse.
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dug this up from another post.

Seems to be a common problem once these cars get older.

I would also check your fuel pump it’s on the high end of mileage and a faulty fuel pump can cause bad start after a load.

Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just a word of caution if replacing a crank or cam position sensor. Had a shop replace the crank sensor on my '06 because it was winter, and a PISTOL to try to reach on your back under the car in the driveway. They replaced it with one from parts store. About 13 months later, started to have same failure symptoms on slow/hard starts, and began bucking at times at speed. Knew it was failing before it ever set a code again. By the time I got it back to the shop that did it a few days later, it had set a code. Read on here that many folks learned the hard way that aftermarket cam/crank sensors often last between 12 - 18 months! So, this time I ordered an OEM Mopar part (can even get from Amazon), and went back to the shop. They gave a 2 yr/24 month warranty, so they covered it. Aftermarket is okay for some things on these cars, but injectors, sensors like wheel speed, cam, crank, etc., and blend door motors, stick to Mopar. I also picked up a Mopar cam sensor at the same time and did it myself. Takes about 5 - 10 minutes tops. Right next to thermostat housing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts