Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay just had transmission replaced because of issues with the car going into limp mode and not having any power come to find out tranny was bad now I'm having a issue with the charger over Cooling I pulled a p2181 code the other day it simply said cooling system performance pretty vague I have replace the thermostat and I even replace the coolant temperature sensor that's attached to the motor and the car will get up to 180 no issue idling but when I go down the road I lose heat any recommendations would be greatly appreciated not having issues with it overheating even when it's idle the coolant is full I made sure there's no air in the coolant by bleeding in on top of the motor not really sure what else to check I've attached 2 photos one of it idling and then me driving down the road and as you can see I'm losing temperature

Attachments

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Photo at idle shows intake is 88°F and coolant is 183°F. Photo at 61 MPH shows intake 59°F and coolant at 180°F. This is a normal pattern, higher temp on intake & coolant while sitting idle and lower temp on intake & coolant while the car is moving.

P2181 (cooling system performance) is set when the PCM detects that the ECT (engine coolant temp) has failed its self-coherence test. The coolant temp should only change at a certain rate, if this rate is too slow or too fast this fault will set.

You already replaced the thermostat, replaced the ECT sensor, checked coolant level and purged air from the coolant system. These are the typical fixes for P2181.
Check the wiring harness/connectors for the ECT sensor and the ground wires/connectors. Also check the PCM wiring harness/connectors. Look for any fraying, corrosion, etc ...

Reactions: Mean Mango
1 - 2 of 2 Posts