Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Son lost his key to his car so instead of going o the dealership to get one I took the complete ignition switch out of my 2005 magnum it the same but when I installed it into his car it would crank but would not run but a few seconds. Did I miss something Please help.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yes, you missed something LMAO. People don't seem to understand you can't just mix and match parts these days, ain't like the old days. Your ignition switch + your keys not programmed to SKIM = locked PCM if you keep trying to start it. SKIM = Security Key Immobilizer Module. Key word here being "immobilizer". Because the SKIM isn't getting the signal it needs from the key, it isn't sending the signal the PCM needs to keep running. So it shuts down. If you keep trying to run it, it will lock the PCM (if you haven't already). If you haven't locked the PCM, then the keys need to be programmed to the car or the original ones used. Since you said he lost his (there was only one? These cars get delivered with two...), either way the car is getting towed to the dealer for key programming and PCM unlock (if necessary).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts