Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should my 2008 SE + with the 3.5HO be pre wired for fog lights? The wife wants them. Is there any aftermarket light that would work with the factory wiring and factory switch? I realize the dealer would have to scan it but I would want the factory switch but don't really care if the lights are factory. I can't see buy the complete factory kit if I don't need the wiring harness. How do I check for pre wire?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
hey!! my 08 came prewired but i did not realize until AFTER I WIRED AND INSTALLED THE MOPAR KIT!! make sure you get under your car, remove the belly guard and see if there is a wiring harness on each side that has a bluish rubber seal and if so those are the ones designated for the fog lamps. i would get under there and check before anything man. also, the switch on your se plus does not have the capability to turn the fogs on so you will need a new switch. i believe on the 08 se+ it should be pre wired. good luck my friend

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew I would need the new switch but i was wondering IF it is pre wired are there aftermarket fog lights that connect to the factory wiring so I could save some money on the lights and just buy the switch from the dealer plus the flash or is still still better to buy the complete kit with wiring harness and all even though I probably don't need the wiring harness?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
You cant use OEM harness to power up the fog without using the WiTec TIPM flash. That's the only way.

Buy the whole kit. For the lighting system I dont suggest you save that little bit of money. It's not worth it when you find your aftermarket fog housing starts turning yellow and developing crack.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I knew I would need the new switch but i was wondering IF it is pre wired are there aftermarket fog lights that connect to the factory wiring so I could save some money on the lights and just buy the switch from the dealer plus the flash or is still still better to buy the complete kit with wiring harness and all even though I probably don't need the wiring harness?
yes you CAN buy aftermarket fogs. but you still need the switch and flash. for a decent price you can get the switch with fogs included...just save the wiring or sell it...then all you gotta do is go to dealer so they can flash the car

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like I will just get the factory kit. Who has the best price online or is it best to check with the local dealer for the kit?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I think the stock Mopar kit is the way to go. Makes for a clean install and the instructions are straight forward. I got mine on ebay from a dealership who was selling the kits for a good price. You may even be able to get a discount at your local dealer on the flash. Hell they may even do it for you for nothing it just all depends on the dealership.

·
Registered
180 Posts
looking to do the same thing... but putting HID bulbs in them... just a matter of finding a decent priced fog light kit and a nice set of HIDs to match my lows...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Here is another choice. These make for a very clean install, look factory, wiring harness is made for these cars and they are brighter.

I just istalled some this year and have OEM style fog lights. They work great. They snap on and look like OEM ones. I paid $65 for them brand new and i can turn them off and on when i want. Even if i have my brights on. They take the same bulb as the brights do.

These have worked great for me. Im glad I bought these and not the OEM ones.

http://chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=122172

·
Registered
213 Posts
try mopar-super-center .com they have good prices too

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Here is another choice. These make for a very clean install, look factory, wiring harness is made for these cars and they are brighter.

I just istalled some this year and have OEM style fog lights. They work great. They snap on and look like OEM ones. I paid $65 for them brand new and i can turn them off and on when i want. Even if i have my brights on. They take the same bulb as the brights do.

These have worked great for me. Im glad I bought these and not the OEM ones.

[url]http://chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=122172[/URL]

9005 is rated as 65watt while even OEM fog light housing is only capable of handling halogen bulbs no greater than 45Watt.

So i wont recommend this route. Yours works fine now doesnt mean it wont damage the fog light housing down the road.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
9005 is rated as 65watt while even OEM fog light housing is only capable of handling halogen bulbs no greater than 45Watt.

So i wont recommend this route. Yours works fine now doesnt mean it wont damage the fog light housing down the road.
The housings are not factory ones and are made for these bulbs. I run these everyday since I got them.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The housings are not factory ones and are made for these bulbs. I run these everyday since I got them.

Aftermarket usually have worse quality. But your case could be the opposite. Keep an eye on them and see what happens after a year or so.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a price for the kit from the local dealer I purchased the car from and they have the factory kit for $127.00. They also said since I take all 3 of my Dodges there for service that they would probably only charge about $15.00 to turn them on.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I got a price for the kit from the local dealer I purchased the car from and they have the factory kit for $127.00. They also said since I take all 3 of my Dodges there for service that they would probably only charge about $15.00 to turn them on.

good for you! seems like a cool service center! :TU:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts