2010 3.5 ETC and TC Lights On, Rough Idle and Hard Start

Discussion in '6th Gen Dodge Charger' started by Elmer Russell, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Elmer Russell

Elmer Russell New Member

Vehicle:
    Dodge Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    6th Gen - 2010
    Trim?:
    SXT
    Fellas / Gals;

The a/n started about 2 weeks ago. Junior said it threw a code for a misfire on #5. He cleared the code then the lights came on. He failed to read ALL the codes. Second and third one were for intake temp. too high and ETC. I naturally assumed the throttle body and replaced it today. Before when it would get up to temp. it would stall out, lose power, and suck gas like a girl I knew in high school!

Now today it worked fine until I parked it for about 20 minutes then tried to start it. It wound over about 5 times before it kicked in and when I made the first idle stop in a drive thru it started with the a/n lights and idling about 1500. So much so that I shut it off and then restarted. Now it works fine.

Question:
    Where the hell is the MAF sensor?
    Or is it part of the new throttle body?
    Can it be cleaned with brake cleaner as per usual?
    How much of a leak does it need to throw it into a fit like this?
    Why the TC light if its in the ETC?

Any help is appreciated!!

2. djalbin

djalbin Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger R&T STP
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2012
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    I would read the codes again for a refresh of what codes are getting logged. I added some answers/comments to your questions.

Question:
    Where the hell is the MAF sensor?
    The Dodge Charger does not have a MAF (mass air flow) sensor. It has a MAP (manifold absolute pressure ... also called a manifold air pressure) sensor. The Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) and Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor are attached directly to the upper intake manifold on the V6.
    Or is it part of the new throttle body?
    MAP sensor is separate from the throttle body
    Can it be cleaned with brake cleaner as per usual?
    No. The MAP sensor is an electrical sensor (nothing to clean) and brake cleaner is too harsh for the throttle body or a MAF sensor. There is electrical contact cleaner and MAF cleaner for those parts.
    How much of a leak does it need to throw it into a fit like this?
    Not much. Check all the vacuum hoses for cracks/leaks and check the intake manifold bolts to see if any of them are loose.
    Why the TC light if its in the ETC?
    A lot of different sensors feed into the TC (wheel speed, throttle position, ...). If any of these inputs is missing or reporting errors the TC will shut off and log an error code.