Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Charger 3.0 V6 / 118k miles
Intermittently, the car either stalls completely, or goes into "limp" mode. Has happened several times now in last few days.
Example - at 70mph on interstate, running fine, on cruise control, then:
  • Cruise control disconnects
  • Electronic Throttle Control light
  • Traction Control light
  • Engine either shuts off or gets very sluggish with little or no throttle response.
Pulled off highway. Have since discovered that if I shut the car off completely and turn it back on, engine restarts and runs fine, all trouble lights are off.
Second time it happened, took it to dealer. Only code was vacuum leak (code # unknown). He found the oil dipstick was loose in the tube and declared it to be the source of the problem. NOPE - happened again this morning on the way to work.
Sounds like one of the "no-code" issues ?
Anyone with ideas? I don't want to start replacing a bunch of sensors.....

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
if I shut the car off completely and turn it back on, engine restarts and runs fine, all trouble lights are off.
Classic behavior for limp-mode, except that the TCM (transmission control module) will log a diagnostic code if it's a transmission issue. Other sensors can cause limp-mode but again the PCM (powertrain control module) or TCM will typically log a diagnostic code. The only time I have seen this happen without any codes is when the PCM itself was the problem.
I recommend you get a OBD2/CAN scanner. A good one that reads all codes ... not just powertrain codes. I use the BlueDriver scanner https://www.bluedriver.com/
Keep the scanner in the car. Next time the car shuts down, scan for codes before you restart the engine. If you have a scanner like the BlueDriver you can also access the freeze-frame information. Save any of the codes & freeze-frame logs that show up. Then restart the engine.
You can always scan again after the engine restarts to see if any different codes are logged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Classic behavior for limp-mode, except that the TCM (transmission control module) will log a diagnostic code if it's a transmission issue. Other sensors can cause limp-mode but again the PCM (powertrain control module) or TCM will typically log a diagnostic code. The only time I have seen this happen without any codes is when the PCM itself was the problem.
I recommend you get a OBD2/CAN scanner. A good one that reads all codes ... not just powertrain codes. I use the BlueDriver scanner BlueDriver Scan Tool | BlueDriver
Keep the scanner in the car. Next time the car shuts down, scan for codes before you restart the engine. If you have a scanner like the BlueDriver you can also access the freeze-frame information. Save any of the codes & freeze-frame logs that show up. Then restart the engine.
You can always scan again after the engine restarts to see if any different codes are logged.
had this same problem after replacing my engine and the only thing I could to do fix it was order and replace the entire throttle body and corresponding chips

1 - 3 of 3 Posts