Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyday battery is dead need to charge. Charge is good battery is good Alternator is good. Noticed when I turn the car off the instrument cluster goes off like normal but within 10 sec turns back on within another 10 to 15 sec it turns off anyone else notice the instrument cluster do this?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
More than likely there's a electronic module that's defective and causing excessive IOD (ignition Off draw). I had an aftermarket alarm system in my car that would wake-up during the night and drain the main battery. It appears there's a module in your car that's going active after you turn the ignition Off.
IOD is a normal condition where power is being drained from the battery with the ignition switch in the Off position. A normal vehicle electrical system will draw from five to thirty-five milliamperes (0.005 to 0.035 ampere) with the ignition switch in the Off position. Up to thirty-five milliamperes are needed to enable the memory functions for the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), digital clock, electronically tuned radio, and other modules.
You need to perform a IOD Test to see how much current is being used after the ignition switch is in the Off position. If the IOD is more than 0.035A you need to isolate to the module/circuit that's causing the problem.

IOD Test:
Turn off all electrical accessories.
Disconnect the battery negative cable.
Connect a 10 amp fused jumper wire between the negative battery cable and the negative battery post.
Turn the ignition On and then Off and wait 10 minutes for all systems to enter sleep mode.
Set an electronic digital multi-meter to its highest amperage scale. Connect the multi-meter to the battery negative cable terminal clamp and the battery negative terminal post, but not on the jumper connection.
Remove the 10 amp jumper wire without breaking the digital multi-meter connection.
The high-amperage IOD reading on the multi-meter should be very low or nonexistent, depending upon the electrical equipment in the vehicle. If the amperage reading remains high, remove and replace each fuse one at a time until the amperage reading becomes very low, or nonexistent.
This will isolate each circuit and identify the circuit that is the source of the high-amperage IOD.

After the high-amperage IOD has been corrected, switch the multi-meter to progressively lower amperage scales and, if necessary, repeat the fuse remove-and-replace process. The multi-meter reading will drop to within the acceptable limit when the source of the excessive current draw is disconnected.

Reactions: Juicy J

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Have you installed an accessory recently, perhaps tapping into the overhead console or rear view mirror? I've seen this issue in these areas.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No I have made no changes to the car. Had a guy on another page say starter relay wht do u all think about that

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something else happened today went to start up car and it says change oil I just changed the oil 3 weeks ago and cleared the oil message why would it be back on

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
The memory modules that store data can get reset (e.g. loss of power, etc...) The counter keeping track of the oil change status probably got reset to zero ... triggering the "change oil" message.

Reactions: Juicy J
1 - 6 of 6 Posts