Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago I bought a 2012 charger V6 from a police auction near me and everything worked perfectly for a while. Until one morning when the car would not start and gave all kinds of lights, ABS, Traction control, Power steering, check engine, and the brake light would flash. When I looked this up the alternator recall would keep coming but after some phone calls I found out that this car had had the alternator recall performed already almost 2 years ago. This replacement alternator does still have a warranty on it.

Sometimes the car will start and move just without any power steering or traction control (The ABS light stayed on, but I don't know if it worked) and sometimes it will just go to accessory and flash all of the warnings.

I have already had the battery tested and it is fine. I would like to get the alternator tested but I don’t have the equipment and in order to have one of the auto stores in my area test it you have to bring the car there (I live in a rural area and it is 25 minutes to the nearest auto store and don’t feel comfortable with no power steering or ABS). I did fill the power steering pump to the top of the range it gives to make sure that wasn’t it.

One other thing that is probably not related was that the day before all of this started I took the car to get emissions tested by the state. The guy there said he had a problem scanning the car and that no data would come up when he scanned it. The night before this happened was also one of the colder ones we had where I live, down a little under freezing.

Could this be the alternator again or something else?
If anyone had any problems like this or any advice it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
There's something else going on if the emissions station had problems communicating with the OBD2 port. There's a fuse for the diagnostic port. It's in the rear fuse box (in the trunk). I would check all the fuses (front & rear boxes) to see if any fuses are blown.
You need to get a OBD2/CAN scanner to see what codes have been logged. AutoZone and other auto parts stores will scan for free if you don't have a scanner. The scanner plugs into the car's OBD2 port, so if the port is not communicating the scanner may have the same problem as the emissions tester. If all the fuses & relays are good, the problem could be a CAN Bus (CAN = Controller Area Network) problem. This could be a wiring harness/connector, loose ground connection, etc ... problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually just found out that the alternator was under warranty for the next week so i had it taken to the dealer and will see what they say

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's something else going on if the emissions station had problems communicating with the OBD2 port. There's a fuse for the diagnostic port. It's in the rear fuse box (in the trunk). I would check all the fuses (front & rear boxes) to see if any fuses are blown.
You need to get a OBD2/CAN scanner to see what codes have been logged. AutoZone and other auto parts stores will scan for free if you don't have a scanner. The scanner plugs into the car's OBD2 port, so if the port is not communicating the scanner may have the same problem as the emissions tester. If all the fuses & relays are good, the problem could be a CAN Bus (CAN = Controller Area Network) problem. This could be a wiring harness/connector, loose ground connection, etc ... problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I have the same EXACT issues. I’ve changed computer modules, taken it to multiple mechanics for them not to be able to properly diagnose the issue. Im

·
Registered
13 Posts
Running out of avenues to help resolve the issue. Were you able to figure out your issue? Please any information would be so so so appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I have the same EXACT issues. I’ve changed computer modules, taken it to multiple mechanics for them not to be able to properly diagnose the issue. Im
I’m Having Same Problem ‘ I Have Replaced Altenator And Recharged Battery ‘ Still Not Working ‘ Did You Figure It Out ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m Having Same Problem ‘ I Have Replaced Altenator And Recharged Battery ‘ Still Not Working ‘ Did You Figure It Out ?

yeah man, I replaced my can connector bus or “star“ block under the glove box. If you can slam the glove box shut and the issue stops for a little bit, that’s your best indication that is the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah man, I replaced my can connector bus or “star“ block under the glove box. If you can slam the glove box shut and the issue stops for a little bit, that’s your best indication that is the issue.
Thanks Bro I Was Thinking Under Glove Box Issue ‘ Did You Have To Reprogram Car When After Replacing It ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not at all for my issue. If it ends up being a computer module, you may have to program it but my issue was just replacing the plastic box. It ran me for about $250 total, after labor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not at all for my issue. If it ends up being a computer module, you may have to program it but my issue was just replacing the plastic box. It ran me for about $250 total, after labor.
About a year ago I bought a 2012 charger V6 from a police auction near me and everything worked perfectly for a while. Until one morning when the car would not start and gave all kinds of lights, ABS, Traction control, Power steering, check engine, and the brake light would flash. When I looked this up the alternator recall would keep coming but after some phone calls I found out that this car had had the alternator recall performed already almost 2 years ago. This replacement alternator does still have a warranty on it.

Sometimes the car will start and move just without any power steering or traction control (The ABS light stayed on, but I don't know if it worked) and sometimes it will just go to accessory and flash all of the warnings.

I have already had the battery tested and it is fine. I would like to get the alternator tested but I don’t have the equipment and in order to have one of the auto stores in my area test it you have to bring the car there (I live in a rural area and it is 25 minutes to the nearest auto store and don’t feel comfortable with no power steering or ABS). I did fill the power steering pump to the top of the range it gives to make sure that wasn’t it.

One other thing that is probably not related was that the day before all of this started I took the car to get emissions tested by the state. The guy there said he had a problem scanning the car and that no data would come up when he scanned it. The night before this happened was also one of the colder ones we had where I live, down a little under freezing.

Could this be the alternator again or something else?
If anyone had any problems like this or any advice it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Where You Having These Same Issues Right ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts