Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all just purchased (well traded my old Project truck) and now I am a proud owner of a 2012 Charger Pursuit 5.7 Hemi. I knew it was a project as it has the dreaded Lifter tick. So cam and lifters are being purchased... So that comes to a few questions

1. With it being the 5.7 Eagle Hemi should I disable the MDS and run NON-MDS cam and lifters?
2. What would be a step-up from the stock Cam keeping in mind it would be a Daily Driver

3. Should I install the kits in the rear doors to make them work like regular or keep it cop style

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
How many miles on her?

I hear the Challenger manual trans cam is a tad more spunk, it may not require a tune. Others may chime in and confirm.

As for lifter and cam change I suggest to include springs, push rods & valve stem seals. Mopar springs are fine.
DO NOT use Felpro valve stem seals, they pop off! Go Comp Cams 531-16 (16 in the p/n is the quantity), or MOPAR but MO Money.
To avoid a possible future tick because MOPAR seems to live right on the edge with push rod length get these Comp Cams 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload). About .005" longer.

I recently did a valve train refresh, Lifters, Springs. Psh Rods, and Seals. I went back with MDS becase the cam is good and you cannot mix MDS with non-MDS cam & lifters.

My MDS is disabled in the tune because of the blower but if I could use it I would. I run her pretty hard shifting @6k rpm and they are holding up fine. MDS is not specifically related to the lifter failures.

Welcome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I am on the Fence with the MDS. As Part of me is thinking keeping it stock would be fine but the other part of me says... give it some more power. When the Charger first was re-released 2006 as a 4-door sedan I was not impressed, yet at the same time It has a draw to it. Now I have come to appreciate the styling more and more. So when I had a change to trade a project which was stagnating for a Charger... well I swooped in and took it... Now I will be tackling the repair...

So MDS or NO- MDS that is the question.... Options Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You keeping the mileage secret? 👀

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thank you. I am on the Fence with the MDS. As Part of me is thinking keeping it stock would be fine but the other part of me says... give it some more power. When the Charger first was re-released 2006 as a 4-door sedan I was not impressed, yet at the same time It has a draw to it. Now I have come to appreciate the styling more and more. So when I had a change to trade a project which was stagnating for a Charger... well I swooped in and took it... Now I will be tackling the repair...

So MDS or NO- MDS that is the question.... Options Thoughts?
Welcome fellow Pursuit Owner.

MDS is all up to you. Personally if you don't want performance, keep it stock and DO NOT get engine tech crap lifters. I went the stock route once with those and one of them failed, overpumped and bent a pushrod on me on MDS deactivation (transition from V4 to V8 mode)

When it comes to Cams though, it's a mine field. If you want simple stock get a Challenger Cam P/n # 53022064BD and a set of mopar non MDS lifters. Cam costs like $77 bucks off rockauto. According to research the Challenger Non MDS cam was worth 375hp, 400 ft lbs tq vs the MDS cam 370hp and 390 ft lbs I believe. Besides disabling MDS this require no extra tuning.

Some have opted for the non mds 392 Cam as well. This requires some valve train work to be correct. Well, pretty much any cam with major lift is going to need a plethora of additional supporting items. (Springs, Pushrods, Retianers, Shims, Phaser locker etc etc)

A Diablo I3 tuner is about $500 bucks from Hemifever if you get a custom Tune FYI, which is the route I went.

I would make the door works if you ever carry people.

BTW, here is my 2011 Former GSP Pursuit.

If you really want to add to the car after repairs, I highly suggest upgrading the Radio to 2013+ 8.4 Uconnect with Navigation. SRT pages are great to have to monitor engine and car stuff. One of the best things I done so far. I also added the 2015 Cluster swap to mine as well.

There is bunch of other mods and stuff you can do I'll save for later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the advice. I am thinking going the non- mds challenger cam and non-mds lifters. And deactivating mds... the Diablo tuner looks nice will def pic that up. 2013+ 8.4 Uconnect with Navigation peaks my interest as well but fist things first parts list... and then get ordering...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Sorry thought I had put mileage in 147k
A Spring Chicken. And CE9311 giving you good info there. Go MOPAR on lifters. And Hell Cat lifters are only hell cat lifters when they are installed in a hell cat. The same lifter in your car is just a MOPAR non-MDS lifter.

Here is a show and tell warning on Felpro Valve Stem Seals popping off. There were same reports on the Challenger boards too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Spring Chicken. And CE9311 giving you good info there. Go MOPAR on lifters. And Hell Cat lifters are only hell cat lifters when they are installed in a hell cat. The same lifter in your car is just a MOPAR non-MDS lifter.

Here is a show and tell warning on Felpro Valve Stem Seals popping off. There were same reports on the Challenger boards too.

View attachment 123049
Just wow... how have they not been sued...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Welcome to the Z, from Pittsburgh! Are you building that garage for your new ride? That's treating her right!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I am thinking going the non- mds challenger cam and non-mds lifters. And deactivating mds... the Diablo tuner looks nice will def pic that up. 2013+ 8.4 Uconnect with Navigation peaks my interest as well but fist things first parts list... and then get ordering...
As stated the non MDS challenger cam route is simplest, low cost thing to do. However there are many options for more power out there. It's not hard to do the work but if you are in there might as well. There are some cams out there that work fine with stock components. I just do not know which off hand honestly.

Also, check your rocker arms and valve stems for odd wear. I found it on mine when I did the repairs.

I used Hemi Fever for my Diablo I3 + Custom Tune (91 octane level) which was in that $500 range. So far been pleased.

With just the tune, and 245 series tires I managed a 8.807 @ 79.47 in the 1/8 mile with a 1.984 60 ft. (Best evar!)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Picked up a Diablo Intune DCX for 2011+ Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram. Also picked up the Cam from Rock Auto, Mopar Lifters with Cradles (all MDS), Gasket Set, and looking at the timing chain once I start getting into the engine.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Picked up a Diablo Intune DCX for 2011+ Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram. Also picked up the Cam from Rock Auto, Mopar Lifters with Cradles (all MDS), Gasket Set, and looking at the timing chain once I start getting into the engine.
Just make sure, you do not mix match MDS and Non MDS parts. Bad juju. Aka MDS lifters on non mds cam, vice versa....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just making sure as I made sure that the Cam (Rock Auto 77 dollar Challenger No MDS) and the Lifters were NON-MDS i triple checked before buying them. Funny thing is Rock Auto Lifters are EngineTech and I thought those were to be avoided...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just making sure as I made sure that the Cam (Rock Auto 77 dollar Challenger No MDS) and the Lifters were NON-MDS i triple checked before buying them. Funny thing is Rock Auto Lifters are EngineTech and I thought those were to be avoided...
100%

MMX has lifters from mopar. They are commonly sold as "hellcat" lifters.

EDIT Jesus they went up $200 bucks. May want to try East coast mopar for them. Make sure you get new yokes and not reuse old ones though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts