Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - I know this topic has been discussed before, but I've read the posts and they haven't helped. I just completed a column to floor shift conversion on my 2012 Police Pursuit Charger.I used wiring diagrams gleaned from my local library's Chilton online database. There were six wires going to the connector that plugged into the column shifter, and six wires going into the connector for the floor shifter. I can post photos of the diagrams if you'd like to see them (or photos of the actual connectors w/leads). I matched them up, created a loom extension from the original column shifter wiring to the floor shifter. Everything works as it ought to except the Autostick feature. I know that the column shifter had an on/off button for the Autostick, but I haven't been able to find any wires running from the button to the harness. For those of you who've done this conversion successfully (and your Autostick WORKS), what am I missing here? Ever since I started planning this mod, I was wondering how the floor shifter Autostick works, since the column shift has the on/off button for it. Can anyone help me solve this issue?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Full disclosure: I don't own a Pursuit and haven't solved this problem.

With that said, I'd like to suggest that you might be looking at a BCM programming issue. I think I'd look up AlfaOBD on the Google Play Stone, and email Sergey, the developer. Ask him if he knows of a setting in his program that you can toggle with AlfaOBD to resolve this.

I don't have any way of knowing for sure, but I suspect your BCM is looking for a signal from that column shifter switch and ignoring the signal from the console shifter. You could probably resolve it by tracing (I realize you haven't been able to find it so far) the wiring for the switch, and wiring it to an old school pushbutton on the console or the shifter itself (like the old nitrous valve switches). For a factory-like solution, though, you could end up having to make a programming change, which might be possible with AlfaOBD. Even then, it's possible that you'd have to change the chassis type from Pursuit to R/T or something similar, and I don't know what other effects that could have. I'd start with Sergey, though.

Incidentally, that's assuming the Autostick worked before. It used to be fairly common for Pursuit upfitters to cut the wires to the Autostick button, presumably at the request of departments who didn't want their officers to get stuck in first gear during a pursuit and grenade the engine. No idea if they're still doing that or not, just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input. I have to say that I never tried the Autostick feature with the column shifter, so I don't know if it worked before I did the floor shift swap. I'm wishing I had. I didn't know about the Pursuit upfitters cutting the wires to the autostick button. That could explain a lot.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks for your input. I have to say that I never tried the Autostick feature with the column shifter, so I don't know if it worked before I did the floor shift swap. I'm wishing I had. I didn't know about the Pursuit upfitters cutting the wires to the autostick button. That could explain a lot.
See if you can grab a wiring diagram. IIRC, the wires that used to be cut were just to the right of the steering column behind the dash and at least one was green, at least on the first-gen cars. Might be a relatively simple fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I work in the Parts Dept. for a multi-line dealer, and one of our stores is a Dodge dealer, so I have access to factory wiring diagrams. I'm not sure which one I would need for this - I can try to post photos of the diagrams I already have this afternoon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are the wiring diagrams I've been working with. Oddly, when I look up the VIN # for my 2012 Pursuit, there's only one diagram for the shifter and it's not designated "Police". But when I look up the 2014 R/T that was the donor car my floor shifter/console came from, there are two diagrams - the civilian R/T and one specifically labeled "Police". Neither is 100% correct for my '12 Pursuit, but close enough - I think only one wire color was slightly different (yellow w/brown instead of yellow/dk green). All the pin locations in the connectors are correct. After what you said earlier about the Autostick wires possibly being cut, I'm thinking now I need to find the trans control module and find the connector for the Autostick and check continuity with the connector plugged into the shifter.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.K - last night I located the Trans Control Module, found where the two Autostick wires enter the connector (at the TCM), and tested them for continuity with the Autostick wires at the shifter. There IS continuity between the two Autostick wires at the connector that plugs into the shifter (the one with six wires), and the two Autostick wires at the connector that plugs into the TCM (slots marked "L" and "H"). I was really hoping that there wouldn't be, which would've meant a simple repair, but no such luck. Interestingly, the two Autostick wires that go into the connector at the TCM are purple w/white and black w/blue. They come out of a wireloom that snakes its way up under the left side of the dash and I think passes through the firewall. Somewhere along the way, they change colors and become yellow and yellow w/purple (or brown?) where they fed into the original connector for the column shifter.

Anyway, since cut or unplugged wires aren't the problem, I turned my attention to the floor shifter - specifically the little yellow switch box located at the back that operates the Autostick. I unplugged it from the shifter and took the cover off (see photos). I can see that it consists of two momentary switches and three resistors, but I have no idea how to test it. I don't know what kind of signal it sends to the shifter and then the shift control module. It's probably not defective, but it would be nice to know since I'm trying to narrow down the possibilities of what might be keeping the Autostick from not working.

I also realize that I'm working with a used (probably junkyard) shifter, and so have no way of knowing whether it's working correctly or not. I do actually have another shifter that (allegedly) came from the same '14 R/T that my console came from. Since I don't know what else to do at this point, I'm going to swap out the shifters and see if there's any change. I'm not expecting to get a positive result from this, but at this time I don't know what else to do.
thumbnail_IMG_0286.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0288.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0289.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0283.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0282.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. I just completed the column to floor conversion on my 2012 pursuit. Same auto stick not working issue. I took apart the old column shifter switch housing as twest did. I can make the autostick work by using the two switches from the column. I built an ugly little box out of an old wall charger. I unplugged the yellow box on the shifter and plugged it the box and it works as should. Not the solution I want. It seems the resistance values from the yellow box vary from the column circuit. The column circuit which works ohms out at: Both switches not pressed equals 2636 ohms. Momentary contact button pressed equals 21.53K. Downshift is 8.1 ohms. Upshift is 4.04K. It seems that if the three resisters on the yellow box board were replaced with the values above it should work. Still needs a momentary contact switch to activate. I can't solder things that small. Anyone out there who can replace the three mini resistors? I starightlined the circuit to account for the monetary switch. I don't know if there is a realistic solution but it would be nice to have it right. My 2 cents.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still working on a solution for mine. What I found out is pretty much the same as you; the column shifter autostick controls have a baseline resistance of 21.5k ohms, the momentary switch sends a signal of 2.46k ohms, upshift is 4.05k ohms, and downshift is 8.10k ohms. These values are what the TCM is looking for, and yes, the values from the little yellow control box mounted at the back of the floor shifter are completely different. I have them written down at home so if anyone needs them, I can post them later (not at home right now). I think that on the civilian cars that come factory equipped with a floor shift, the autostick is live whenever the ignition switch is in the "run" position. With our Pursuit models being equipped with a switch that turns the autostick on and off, I can't see any way around having a momentary switch to send the 2.46k ohms to the TCM to tell it to turn autostick on. I'm currently trying to find a source for surface mount resistors of the values I need so that I can modify the PCB from the little yellow control box. So far I can't find the resistors in the case size (which I believe is 2010 - 5 mm x 2.6 mm).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm still working on a solution for mine. What I found out is pretty much the same as you; the column shifter autostick controls have a baseline resistance of 21.5k ohms, the momentary switch sends a signal of 2.46k ohms, upshift is 4.05k ohms, and downshift is 8.10k ohms. These values are what the TCM is looking for, and yes, the values from the little yellow control box mounted at the back of the floor shifter are completely different. I have them written down at home so if anyone needs them, I can post them later (not at home right now). I think that on the civilian cars that come factory equipped with a floor shift, the autostick is live whenever the ignition switch is in the "run" position. With our Pursuit models being equipped with a switch that turns the autostick on and off, I can't see any way around having a momentary switch to send the 2.46k ohms to the TCM to tell it to turn autostick on. I'm currently trying to find a source for surface mount resistors of the values I need so that I can modify the PCB from the little yellow control box. So far I can't find the resistors in the case size (which I believe is 2010 - 5 mm x 2.6 mm).
A lil late but just did a floor shift conversion as well.. noticed autostic didn't work. Wired push button to cross yellow shift wire to black to trigger into autostic and everything works

1 - 11 of 11 Posts