Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 charger is overheating when I drive uphill. I just changed the cooling fan. All that did was stop coolant from heating from 219-239 when I stop. Im
Not sure what the normal operating temp for the coolant but I know mines his high. Not sure if I have a bad fan or a blown head gasket. Need help!! Has anyone experiences this issue ?

·
Registered
762 Posts
What temps are you seeing now that the fan's been replaced, with what outside temps?

Has the cooling system ever been serviced? What does the reservoir tank look like?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What temps are you seeing now that the fan's been replaced, with what outside temps?

Has the cooling system ever been serviced? What does the reservoir tank look like?
My reservoir is quite old and has turned orange. And no my coolant system has not been serviced to my knowledge I am the second owner. I see temps from 219-239. Outside temp 75 degrees

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you've already replaced the fan, I believe I'd perform a flush with distilled water, then refill with a 50/50 mix of either Mopar pink HOAT or purple OAT (whichever is specified in your owner's manual) and distilled water, and install a new thermostat.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My reservoir is quite old and has turned orange.
My 2013 RT Plus uses the orange coolant, so your reservoir probably didn't turn orange. It likely uses the orange one. Owner's manual will tell you for sure. Your temps do sound high, though. Mine ran around 197 with my old thermostat and now runs 206 after I replaced it recently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you've already replaced the fan, I believe I'd perform a flush with distilled water, then refill with a 50/50 mix of either Mopar pink HOAT or purple OAT (whichever is specified in your owner's manual) and distilled water, and install a new thermostat.
Mechanic said it was the thermostat bc the lower radiator is cold when the car is running. Getting it fixed on Sunday if I still face issue I will tap back in Sunday

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2013 RT Plus uses the orange coolant, so your reservoir probably didn't turn orange. It likely uses the orange one. Owner's manual will tell you for sure. Your temps do sound high, though. Mine ran around 197 with my old thermostat and now runs 206 after I replaced it recently.
The temp is high the mechanic is saying it’s the thermy

·
Registered
762 Posts
Be sure to check the owner's manual for the coolant type, and tell your mechanic which one to use, or better yet, bring it yourself.

·
Registered
762 Posts
2013 was the year Chrysler transitioned from HOAT to OAT. The only way to be sure which it came with is to check your owner's manual.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If your A/C is not working it will effect fans. Takes 5 minutes to take thermostat out and test car without it. Be sure to open air bleeder to let the air out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2013 charger is overheating when I drive uphill. I just changed the cooling fan. All that did was stop coolant from heating from 219-239 when I stop. Im
Not sure what the normal operating temp for the coolant but I know mines his high. Not sure if I have a bad fan or a blown head gasket. Need help!! Has anyone experiences this issue ?
How many miles do you have on the car? My water pump went at 73,000 miles. The coolant keeps the oil cool so usually you should see the coolant 8 to 10 hotter than the oil. I am a big fan of oil coolers for this reason. Check to make sure your water pump is not leaking. Have you noticed the coolant low and have to add fluid? Do you see oil or gray colored stuff in the reservoir?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts