Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Charger that will keep locking and unlocking torque convertor while driving. It will lock up at 1500 rpm in first gear (should never lock in first gear) and immediately unlock again. It is really annoying. When coasting in drive at about 50 mph, it will keep doing the same thing about every second. It surges when it does this and the tach will vary about 300 rpm. Other than that it runs and drives great. No check engine light has ever come on. Dealer tried flashing computer but it did not work. Now they want to replace transmission and torque convertor for a phenomenal fee. I don't think it sounds like a mechanical issue. It sounds more like an electronic controlling issue...like something is telling it to lock and unlock at the incorrect times. I cannot find an overdrive button to manually stop the TC from locking up...does it have one? what do you think? any thoughts welcomed. thank you.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
There's no overdrive button but you can use AutoStick mode to manually shift. Does the problem happen in full Auto mode and AutoStick mode?

·
Registered
178 Posts
How many miles on the car?

These sealed transmissions can be frustrating because there's no way to check the trans fluid for discoloration or smell without removing the pan.

If it's a high mileage car an inexpensive test before replacing a trans or converter might be to replace the fluid and filter first and see what that does.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
It sounds more like an electronic controlling issue...like something is telling it to lock and unlock at the incorrect times.
The torque converter lockup clutch is electronically controlled by the TCM (transmission control module) and a PWM (pulse width modulated) solenoid. The TCM provides 12-volts to the On-Off solenoids (e.g. shift solenoids) but the PWM voltage varies depending on the percentage of modulation requested by the TCM.
Without any DTCs (diagnostic troubles codes), or running diagnostics, it's difficult to say whether the problem is electrical or fluid contamination.
You can follow Dr12Volts's recommendation change the fluid & filter and if that doesn't resolve the problem you will need to have diagnostics run on the transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's no overdrive button but you can use AutoStick mode to manually shift. Does the problem happen in full Auto mode and AutoStick mode?
My 07 rt has rattling or shaking wen stopping. Usually in morning wen not real hot.. and sometimes throughout the day.. mine stops wen I use autoshift or manual transmission. Usually due to the rattling I drop it down into 2nd gear Then 1st to stop. What cud be the cause of this? Torque converter??

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
When was the last time the transmission fluid & filter was changed? I would start with the fluid/filter change if it's due.
The TCM (transmission control module) can duty cycle the torque converter lock-up solenoid to achieve a smooth application of the torque converter clutch. It's referred to as Modulated Converter Clutch (MCC). MCC can occur at various times depending on shift lever position, current gear range, transmission fluid temperature, engine coolant temperature, input speed, throttle and engine speed.
MCC shudder can occur due to the condition of the transmission fluid. It can also occur due to the torque converter or valve body (lock up control valve or the lock-up solenoid). Fluid/filter change is where I would start. It's the least expensive and may fix the problem. If it doesn't fix the problem then you will know further diagnostics is needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok. Yes, that's my plan for tomorrow afternoon. Filter/fluid change.
I will update as soon as complete. Hopefully there is no surprises .
Thanks so much for your feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, I changed filter and fluid 2 weekends ago. Nothing got any worse but didn't get much better either. Filter or fluid wasn't very dirty. Still when cold, front end rattles when coming to a stop. Worse shaking at first couple drives. As if, it was a clutch and I was in 4th gear, but only going 5 mph.. like if it would die if I didn't put clutch in. (Not that I have a clutch or that I'm really in 4th gear). Still need help! Don't really know if trans fluid is low sure to no real dip stick. Don't want to over fill either... Please help

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Don't really know if trans fluid is low sure to no real dip stick.
You need verify the transmission fluid level. Low fluid level can cause problems. The NAG1 5-speed transmission fluid check procedure is as follows ...
You need the proper dipstick with the 10mm markings on it (OE part number: 9336). They're available on Amazon and eBay. You also need to know the temperature of the transmission fluid. You can get this from the EVIC or dash cluster gauges. Be aware that the true transmission temp is only displayed when the gear is in reverse or a forward gear position. When in Park/Neutral the temp reading is the same as the engine/coolant temp. This because the transmission oil temperature sensor is switched in series with the park/neutral contact.

CHECK OIL LEVEL
Warm up the transmission, wait at least 2 minutes and check the oil level with the engine running.
1. Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
2. Remove the dipstick tube cap.
3. Actuate the parking brake. Start engine and let it run at idle speed in selector lever position "P".
4. Shift through the transmission modes several times with the vehicle stationary and the engine idling.
5. Push the Oil Dipstick 9336 into transmission fill tube until the dipstick tip contacts the oil pan and pull out again.The transmission Oil Dipstick 9336 has indicator marks every 10mm. Determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick.
6. Using the height, and transmission temperature, use the Transmission Fluid Graph to determine if the transmission oil level is correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts