Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird thing happened? Car was parked in the driveway for the month of August. When I started it this week, the ABS and Traction Control lights were on in the dash and the cruise control button doesn’t work. The traction control button does not affect the light coming on or off. Everything was fine when I parked it. Car runs great. All the other stuff works as far as the UConnect, HVAC, voice activated things, etc. all the wires in the engine compartment are intact and no sign of mice or anything? Anyone run into something like this before?

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Well, I had the same thing happen to me under different circumstances (Charger hadn't been sitting for a month). Ended up being a bad wheel / speed sensor.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the wheel sensor cause all the same issues I have: the cruise control, ABS and traction control? Did it throw a code indicating a bad wheel sensor?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
ABS & traction control rely on information from the wheel speed sensors in order to function correctly. Cruise control is disabled if there are any ABS/TC codes logged. There are wheel speed sensor codes (C003x) but you need a OBD2/CAN scanner that can read ABS codes. Most general purpose scanners only read powertrain codes.

I use the BlueDriver scanner. https://www.bluedriver.com/

Reactions: LuvMusic

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Did the wheel sensor cause all the same issues I have: the cruise control, ABS and traction control? Did it throw a code indicating a bad wheel sensor?
Yes, a bad wheel speed sensor can throw all those lights.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Seems like others have responded, but, here is what happened to me.

I was driving down the highway with cruise control set. Had been cruising at about 75 MPH for about an hour, everything normal. All of a sudden, my dash lit up like the 4th of July and chimes started going off. Message center indicated malfunctions in the ABS, Traction Control and cruise control disabled. Orange lights came on, car started slowing down because cruise control disabled. Pretty concerning actually because I had no idea what was happening. Stepped on the gas, car responded thank heavens and continued the drive home. Next day, went to the dealership and in five minutes the tech informed me that my right front wheel sensor was failing and that caused the problem. Dealership got me in fast and I was back on the road in about 90 minutes.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are great! It’s a front left wheel sensor. A Dodge tech friend of mine scanned it. Got the part for $20 and will replace it tomorrow

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m happy everything is working again. Easy to replace. It just plugs in to a connector on the front frame just behind the plastic wheelhouse cover. Remove the red retainer from the connector and wiggle it out. It was a tight fit. It has a #10 screw that holds the other end into the back of the caliper bracket. That one was tight too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts