Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Daytona Charger
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so a while back my wife encountered a weird baseball card in the spokes of a bike rim sound coming from under the car that randomly comes and goes. Sound stays the same on acceleration and coasting when it does happen. First thoughts was to check all 4 brakes, bearings ect everything looks good got to looking at the center carrier bearing it looked like it could use replaced so I did. Sound still present. While shaft was out The non serviceable U joint in the back half of the 2 piece shaft the shaft has a slight bind in to so I’m thinking this has to be my sound issue (so I’m hoping) I got a whole used 2 piece shaft from a junkyard that just needs carrier replacement…. My question is I know the shafts are balanced and I have marked them accordingly but could I get away with just using the rear half of the junkyard shaft with the front shaft from my vehicle? From looks the weights on both back shafts could be same size but I am not 100% sure

2013 Rwd rt Charger noise
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Daytona Charger
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not 100% sure driveshaft is the issue. I just noticed the U joint has a slight bind to its motion when I replaced carrier. I got a used shaft from a junkyard for 50$ to see if this will eliminate the noise If it does I will order a new shaft lol

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Copy. Just letting you know its available.

·
Registered
2013 Daytona Charger
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I greatly appreciate it for sure! My hopes is the shaft from the junk yard will be the temporary fix if it does stop clicking or whatever. The shaft from the yard has a good u joint (or no bind ) as I feel my stock shaft does. I’ll have a idea where to go next lol last option is a dealer or local shop. Iv been around long enough to avoid the wallet hurt from the dealers ect lol but this noise here I have never encountered. My father was a Master mechanic/auto body man but unfortunately he passed last year in February. He was my mentor lol taught me everything I know let alone the go to for things like this lol basically my first major diag since he has been gone. The sound I am describing is best described in my opinion like a card in a bike spoke sound 😂 went to replace the carrier bearing noticed the bind of the u joint I thought carrier bearing was the issue but it’s still present after swapping it for a new one 🤣🤣 my wife is like WTF are you doing. Me ( lost ) pretending to have a lead but spending hours in the garage for nothing lol

·
Registered
2013 Daytona Charger
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a few old photos of my dad with some De Tomaso Pantera GT5s/ Long champs that I grew up around. He passed unexpectedly at 61 from a stroke/heart attack. Can’t explain the hurt lol but yeah trying to find my way since his passing this is like my first test I guess lol
Wheel Tire Hand Car Vehicle

Car Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Hand Car Vehicle

Automotive lighting Wood Vehicle Rectangle Finger

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
932 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dont mix parts, use the whole junk yard shaft not just the one half.
When my u joint was bad i bought the new sfaft from a dealer, it's gone up a lot since then.
If it does fix the problem I'd try to find a place to replace the u joint in the original one. I saved mine to do that but hope I never have to.

·
Registered
2013 Daytona Charger
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dont mix parts, use the whole junk yard shaft not just the one half.
When my u joint was bad i bought the new sfaft from a dealer, it's gone up a lot since then.
If it does fix the problem I'd try to find a place to replace the u joint in the original one. I saved mine to do that but hope I never have to.
Unfortunately the u joint isn’t able to be replaced in the 05-14 drive shafts from what I understand I do get the not mixing parts tho.. the guys I have been talking to about cutting me a new shaft don’t want to mess with the Non- Serviceable u joint of course lol I’m hoping the u joint is my issue I have replaced the center carrier bearing already and the sound is still here.. I noticed the u joint in the shaft has a slight bind to it so a shaft from the yard is a 50$ temp fix to hopefully tell me where to go from here.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Unfortunately the u joint isn’t able to be replaced in the 05-14 drive shafts from what I understand I do get the not mixing parts tho.. the guys I have been talking to about cutting me a new shaft don’t want to mess with the Non- Serviceable u joint of course lol I’m hoping the u joint is my issue I have replaced the center carrier bearing already and the sound is still here.. I noticed the u joint in the shaft has a slight bind to it so a shaft from the yard is a 50$ temp fix to hopefully tell me where to go from here.
It's not meant to be replaced but there are places around that claim to be able to do it. I never followed through with it so I have no first hand experience but for the cost of new driveshafts now it's something I'd look in to.

·
Registered
2013 Daytona Charger
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not meant to be replaced but there are places around that claim to be able to do it. I never followed through with it so I have no first hand experience but for the cost of new driveshafts now it's something I'd look in to.
I do agree and if I could find a driveline professional that would be willing to give it a shot locally I would definitely go that route lol this 50$ driveshaft from the junkyard with a new carrier bearing will give me a idea if this is the problem or not just hoping i can narrow it down or get it gone for the wife 😂 if this temp shaft works then I can justify to my wife spending the money for the new shaft what a wonderful life 😁

·
Registered
2013 Daytona Charger
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the 50$ temp shaft with the new 70$ bearing I just pressed on LOL trying to get under the car tonight or tomorrow and hope this is the end of my chase of this weird noise but who knows might not even be my problem haha hoping for the best expecting the worst I guess I’ll update when I get er in. Was thinking about using just the back half of the donar shaft to see if that eliminates the noise I’ll figure that out I guess haha

Attachments

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Exhaust hitting tunnel braces?

·
Registered
2013 Daytona Charger
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exhaust hitting tunnel braces?
The exhaust is solid no questions on that one lol had a hell of a time dropping it for the driveshaft an the exhaust shields are tight with no excessive play. I’m trying to find some new flex couplers for a good deal as well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts