Dodge Charger Forum banner
1101 - 1120 of 1127 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would someone that has done the swap reply with what doesn’t work after swapping the cluster and using the current version of the Tazer? There’s a lot of info in the 55 pages of this thread and just want to make sure I understand what will be non-functional after the swap. I have a 2014 SXT with 8-speed trans. Thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Would someone that has done the swap reply with what doesn’t work after swapping the cluster and using the current version of the Tazer? There’s a lot of info in the 55 pages of this thread and just want to make sure I understand what will be non-functional after the swap. I have a 2014 SXT with 8-speed trans. Thanks!
In my 2011

What does not work that I have noticed:

Oil Life (You can't reset it for some reason)

G-Forces

Peak G-Forces

Intake Air Temp (This is a 2011 only issue)

Autostick Does not show what gear is being used. (However having a 8spd may fix this issue as I have the older NAG1 5spd)

I was not able to update my engine hours and idle hours with alfaOBD, however was able to update mileage easily.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In my 2011

What does not work that I have noticed:

Oil Life (You can't reset it for some reason)

G-Forces

Peak G-Forces

Intake Air Temp (This is a 2011 only issue)

Autostick Does not show what gear is being used. (However having a 8spd may fix this issue as I have the older NAG1 5spd)

I was not able to update my engine hours and idle hours with alfaOBD, however was able to update mileage easily.
and...

You can't change from °F to °C

the odometer is only in mls and can not be changed to km

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is correct. I have been running a 2015 cluster in my 2013 for months without changing the mileage or VIN in the cluster. I have also just recently changed the mileage in the 2015 cluster without changing the VIN in the 2015 cluster and have had zero problems.
Can alfaobd be used to update mileage and active buttons on wheel

·
Registered
416 Posts
Can alfaobd be used to update mileage and active buttons on wheel
Mileage yes. Buttons require either a separate adurino or using a taser to interpret the can bus messages between the new cluster and the old steering wheel buttons otherwise they won't operate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First, I want to thank everyone, especially @dubb45 that worked on this and took the time to write about it. I would have never gotten this done without you guys!

This thread is awesome! and yes, I read every page plus I don't know how many other threads.

I just replaced my 2011 cluster with a 2015 pursuit cluster I got off of ebay. I already had a Tazer and the alfaobd program, but now I need a new bezel, though I might trim mine. Most everything worked right away. First I used alfaobd to set the mileage. That took a few tries though. I didn't get anywhere using kilometers, so I went to mileage and did a bunch of stuff I read in this thread. Finally, I rounded up on my mileage and it took, though I'm not sure that was it or just repeated attempts finally got it. I tried the engine hours but I don't know if that worked or not. I did change the VIN but it took the last three numbers and put them in the front, lol...close enough for me. I also got the performance pages working, and changed the transmission setting to 5 polystable whatever it is.

All I did was plug the Tazer in and it started working by itself, and I don't have to use the cruise + button to navigate the menus, the arrows seem to work fine.

Here's what doesn't seem to work:
Oil Life
G-Forces
Peak G-Forces
Intake Air Temp
Autostick gear indication
cruise mile set, just that it's on
none of the reaction timers seem to work
and for audio, I get the AM antenna with whichever I'm listening to (FM, Sirius and station) displaying below that.
I haven't tried changing language or english/metric units...

All in all, I am very, very happy with this...it's almost like a new car and I can certainly live without what doesn't work, especially considering I didn't have it in the first place! lol.

·
Registered
416 Posts
First, I want to thank everyone, especially @dubb45 that worked on this and took the time to write about it. I would have never gotten this done without you guys!

This thread is awesome! and yes, I read every page plus I don't know how many other threads.

I just replaced my 2011 cluster with a 2015 pursuit cluster I got off of ebay. I already had a Tazer and the alfaobd program, but now I need a new bezel, though I might trim mine. Most everything worked right away. First I used alfaobd to set the mileage. That took a few tries though. I didn't get anywhere using kilometers, so I went to mileage and did a bunch of stuff I read in this thread. Finally, I rounded up on my mileage and it took, though I'm not sure that was it or just repeated attempts finally got it. I tried the engine hours but I don't know if that worked or not. I did change the VIN but it took the last three numbers and put them in the front, lol...close enough for me. I also got the performance pages working, and changed the transmission setting to 5 polystable whatever it is.

All I did was plug the Tazer in and it started working by itself, and I don't have to use the cruise + button to navigate the menus, the arrows seem to work fine.

Here's what doesn't seem to work:
Oil Life
G-Forces
Peak G-Forces
Intake Air Temp
Autostick gear indication
cruise mile set, just that it's on
none of the reaction timers seem to work
and for audio, I get the AM antenna with whichever I'm listening to (FM, Sirius and station) displaying below that.
I haven't tried changing language or english/metric units...

All in all, I am very, very happy with this...it's almost like a new car and I can certainly live without what doesn't work, especially considering I didn't have it in the first place! lol.
Being a 2011, IAT will never work.

My Reaction Timers work. (2011) You have to set the sequence using the button that stand in for "ok". (Read Tazer)

Everything else is spot on. I enjoy the cluster a lot more than I had planned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I swapped cluster but some car functions stopped working. I don't know if those are written somewhere in this thread.
My 2013 RT, what has FCW and adaptive cruise control, couldn't enable cruise control at all. Screen showd acc disabled.
Couldn't swap units to metric (uconnect screen was showing metric but cluster had imperial).
Radio stations didn't show current station.
Disabled cruise control and and imperial units are making me sad.

·
Registered
Dodge Charger GT/Plus 2020
7 Posts
I swapped cluster ...
Disabled cruise control and and imperial units are making me sad.
Hmmm this swap sounds a bit risky. Probably it's good ACC is disabled. This thing has access to your gas pedal. Isn't it a little too risky to do this untested swap ? This is hardware and software mix. It's sending signals to controllers etc. Can it accelerate suddenly when you think you're turning on your radio? Or something else like that ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been working on this for a long time and finally have been able to swap out the instrument cluster to my 2014 charger to a 2015 charger instrument cluster. no wires cut all plug and play. all the steering wheel buttons are working perfect I can even send custom text to the screen too. check out my instagram @dubb45 I have alot of the progress on there.
in the meantime here are a few photos for proof, theres a video on my instagram.

there are a few things that I still need to work out but the hard work has been done and I have something to show everything else can easily be added.

View attachment 82840 View attachment 82841

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you have adaptive cruise control and front collision warning? What did you use to get steering wheel buttons working?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Do you have adaptive cruise control and front collision warning? What did you use to get steering wheel buttons working?
Tazer enables buttons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Firstly, good work all on finding out that this cluster swaps works and for all the subsequent development and discussion on getting the various features working with the new cluster.

I live in Australia and have a MY2013 Chrysler 300 C 8 speed auto Pentastar 3.6L (we have different trim/model names here - the base model is Limited, then C, then C Luxury and then the sports models are additional). I purchased a 2016 dash cluster out of a LX2 (2016) Chrysler and fitted it to my car. It all appeared to work fine but when I started the car, it ran for a second or so and then stalled. The stall seemed like an immobiliser cut out and as it kept happening, I switched back the original cluster (after leaving the battery disconnected for 15min).

When I switched back to the original cluster, the vehicle now refuses to start. Scan tool reveals no codes and after I couldn't find any mobile auto electricians who were willing to investigate, the car has been towed to the local Chrysler dealer.

Long story short - if you are in Australia, think twice about doing this swap as you may end up with a disabled vehicle. The vehicle still powers on but you can't start the engine with the red light (for the immobiliser?) continuously flashing on the dash cluster.

Some of you may be also interested to know that when I swapped to the 2016 cluster, the steering wheel buttons worked normally! No need for a Tazer or other solutions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just an update - I've got my car back from the dealer and yes, the red light that was flashing indicated an immobiliser lockout that only the dealer could reset. 30min of labour charged ($82.50 = $165p/h) so thankfully it wasn't anything more serious. As suspected, the word from the dealer is that the newer cluster isn't compatible. I found a business who have Chrysler Witech (what the dealer's use) and they were happy to try to code the new cluster to the car for $150 but mentioned they would only usually do it for the same model cluster rather than a newer model cluster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also whilst I could use AlfaOBD to check the VIN number recorded to the cluster and use it for other functions, it couldn't successfully write a new VIN (my car's vin) to the LX2 cluster so I don't think AlfaOBD is the second coming of Christ and it definitely has limitations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That only works temporarily. As soon as I turn the car off it goes back. Plus, it's not just the digital speedo that's off. Temperature is off too.
I suspect it's something to do with stronger security features embedded in Canadian and Australian delivered vehicles. When I swapped an Australian LX2 (2016) cluster into my Australian LX (2013) vehicle, the new cluster automatically showed imperial instead of metric for the speed and temperature.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I suspect it's something to do with stronger security features embedded in Canadian and Australian delivered vehicles. When I swapped an Australian LX2 (2016) cluster into my Australian LX (2013) vehicle, the new cluster automatically showed imperial instead of metric for the speed and temperature.
I've had a total of three different clusters in my 2011. 2012, and two 2015+ Clusters. I never had any issues.

I was able to write VIN to the 2012, along with mileage / hours.

The 2015+ I was able to write Mileage, hours would not take. Never tried for the VIN. However gave me no issues.

Not sure why AUS cars would be that different but alfaOBD is hands down has allowed many things to be user accessible in the mostly computer controlled market than anything I have seen for dodges so far, and with less than $50 price tag.

No, Jesus may not be involved but still pretty awesome to have.

1101 - 1120 of 1127 Posts