2016, 392 performance questions

Discussion in 'Charger Performance Mods - Engine - 6.4L HEMI' started by move, Jun 12, 2016.

1. move

move New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2016
    Trim?:
    Scat Pack
    First off, I have always used SCT and JMS for my dyno tuning but I notice that a lot of you speak of Diablo. What type of gains have you seen with the Diablo? JMS says I should expect 20 hp gain with a custom tune.

Who makes the best camshafts for these engines?

Is the crankshaft not forged?

IMO the car needs a louder exhaust and more camshaft.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  2. ANUTT

ANUTT Member

Media:
    Vehicle:
    16 Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2016
    Trim?:
    SRT8 Hell Cat
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    I'm very satisfied with my exhaust mod 2 years later. Diablo ROCKS and the 2 together with a K&N CAI has dropped me from 12.7s to 12.20s
    http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=172330

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  3. BlacktopRT

BlacktopRT Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2015
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Well I tried Diablosport's canned tunes on my Scat, did not do anything performance wise. Then I went for a custom tune using a wideband A/F gage and went to HP Tuners. For whatever reason, not much to improve when stock with a CAI. My stock tune was right on the money! The tuner guy was surprised as he has not come across a stock tune that was dialed in so well! We did tweak the tune a little, adjusting fuel shut-offs to higher RPMs and I will go back to him with sticky tires to se if there is more to get from below 3500.
    My guy has tuned 22 Hemis this year so has a good handle on what works on these...

4. move

move New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2016
    Trim?:
    Scat Pack
    I really wish these aftermarket manufacturers would be realistic with their performance gains. Its hard to spend $1,000 on a tune and not make any hp gains. Same goes for these intake kits, they all look a like and I have never put one on any car and made a increase in hp. I have install a few that hurt performance though!

I would really like to know if this engine will make anymore power with long tube headers and open exhaust. I have found one company that makes light weight transmission cross member, k-member and bumper brackets, but is there anyone else that makes lite weight parts?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    roadcaptain likes this.
  5. move

move New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2016
    Trim?:
    Scat Pack
    I'm going to give the SCT a try and have JMS tune the car after I decide on what mods to try. I'm like you though, the engine is all ready making 485 hp out of 392cu and thats no small task. I can't imagine a whole lot more than 10-20hp on a aggressive race gas tune and open headers.

6. BlacktopRT

BlacktopRT Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2015
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Hotrod did an article on a scat pack charger with Kooks long tubes and high flow cats. with tune, a total of 26 RWHP. the dude spent better than 2500.00 (going by memory) for 26 HP. Silly.

702RT likes this.
  7. move

move New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2016
    Trim?:
    Scat Pack
    I have spent a lot more for less power gains than that but the engine was a naturally aspirated making 800hp on pump gas! LoL
    I'd be willing to pay that much if I was guaranteed 26rwhp and stay naturally aspirated. I do agree though that for the hp:cost you could gain far more with a supercharger or nitrous.

I can't get over how my wife wants me to show off for people when they are giving us thumbs up and snorting at us! It does make me smile to see others get so much enjoyment from our car. Everyday there is someone giving me a thumbs up, smile, following me on the interstate, snorting at me or wanting me to get on it for them. Usually in exotic cars folks will ignore you thinking your some type of snob etc.. but not this car. There are some that come up and ask if it's a Hellcat and when they hear its not, they turn around and walk off. I have got where when I hear "Hey, is that." I start to cut them off and say no. There has been some that ask if it's a Scat pack and I'll have to apologize.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  8. TVERRET

TVERRET New Member

Vehicle:
    CHARGER
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2016
    Trim?:
    Scat Pack
    Im looking for a high performance shop to install a kenne bell supercharger and a tune on my 2016 charger 392. i also will be changing the pistons , rods,tranny etc. i just recently had a zl1 camaro convertible and it was fun to drive but this charger puts it to shame.

9. JetTech

JetTech Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    I'm not sure about most of your questions but the one I do know is the crank is forged in the 392's. Unfortunately I can't verify anything about the rods and pistons which makes me think they are not forged. Good luck with your endeavors!!

10. phil88m6

phil88m6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Charger SR
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2016
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Based on my homework, better look at pistons. 392 pistons are NOT set up or rated for forced induction.

11. Dwhip

Dwhip Active Member

Vehicle:
    Road&Track PKG
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Custom paint
    Unless your doing it for the sound I wouldn't do a cam. I know someone that did a cam, ported heads and long tube headers on his 392 with a dyno tune and he only made around 485hp. Which aren't good gains for the money once you include the parts, labor and tuning. I would do a Supercharger with forged dropin pistons/rods