Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am a new member just got the car 2016 SXT, my first bought car. I've never really worked on cars. I'm looking to install a backup camera. Did my research, in videos, most people did OEM camera where they had to drill holes in their car which I'm not too keen on so would be okay with doing an aftermarket camera that just goes on the plate. However videos/guides on aftermarket ones were other years not 2016 and I learned of all the inconsistencies with some being wired for it some not. My car has the 8.4 Uconnect which according to some people here doesn't have the regular (yellow video input) so wouldn't be able to do aftermarket.

Can someone confirm before i buy the parts and tools necessary: 1) Can i use an aftermarket camera that attaches to license plate to avoid drilling a hole into the car?(Does the car have regular video input) 2) If not what tools would i need to remove the rear deck lid cover trim to get to the camera and for the entire install of OEM camera?

Not looking for someone to baby me, i understand it's part of owning a car. Just advise and help if you can and i'd appreciate it thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I did the OEM install so can't comment on aftermarket.
If you have an SXT then it is already prewired, you will see the connector under the deck lid trim.
Deck lid trim has a couple screws and the rest are push pins.
You need to get the OEM camera, the jumper wire, and the camera bracket.
Cut the hole carefully with a Dremel, just take your time.
You can probably do the install in a few hrs or less.
Then you either need a Tazer to activate the camera of have the dealer do it (usually for a fee).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the OEM install so can't comment on aftermarket.
If you have an SXT then it is already prewired, you will see the connector under the deck lid trim.
Deck lid trim has a couple screws and the rest are push pins.
You need to get the OEM camera, the jumper wire, and the camera bracket.
Cut the hole carefully with a Dremel, just take your time.
You can probably do the install in a few hrs or less.
Then you either need a Tazer to activate the camera of have the dealer do it (usually for a fee).
Thanks for the reply. Do you mind telling me where you got the camera, wire, & bracket? And other than that I just need a dremel ? regular screwdriver/drill (no wierd screw size?)?

Also do you know if what i said regarding the regular yellow video input not being available with a uconnect 8.4 screen was true? Because if so i basically have to go the OEM method.
Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I didn't even consider aftermarket, it made no sense to me, so not sure about the video input,maybe Best Buy would know. You would then have to run a wire from the camera up to the radio, that would be a huge pain. The car is already prewired, so plugging into that made the most sense.
The website i got my parts from closed down but there are many mopar parts stores online.
68265874AB-- jumper wire
68224447AA- bracket
[email protected]@@AA-- camera (insert your paint code for @@@).
There are 2 screws for the deck lid trim handle, philips maybe, then a handful of pushpins.
Make a template of the camera and transfer to the car, it is an odd shape.
Drill out the 2 round sections with an appropriate sized drill bit first, and dremel the rest.
No other tools needed.
Dealer can add XAC sales code to your car or use a Tazer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't even consider aftermarket, it made no sense to me, so not sure about the video input,maybe Best Buy would know. You would then have to run a wire from the camera up to the radio, that would be a huge pain. The car is already prewired, so plugging into that made the most sense.
The website i got my parts from closed down but there are many mopar parts stores online.
68265874AB-- jumper wire
68224447AA- bracket
[email protected]@@AA-- camera (insert your paint code for @@@).
There are 2 screws for the deck lid trim handle, philips maybe, then a handful of pushpins.
Make a template of the camera and transfer to the car, it is an odd shape.
Drill out the 2 round sections with an appropriate sized drill bit first, and dremel the rest.
No other tools needed.
Dealer can add XAC sales code to your car or use a Tazer.
Yeah i get why you wouldn't but i'd just like to see if i do have both the options to avoid a permanent effect on my car if i can. Thanks for your help anyway!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts