Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our department just got in a batch or 2019 chargers equipped with the 5.7 hemi. I got my first oil change last month and they put in 6 quarts of oil. The level looked low to me, just barely on the bottom dot on the dipstick. The manual calls for 7 so they added another quart. Now the oil is about 3/8 of an inch above the top dot. I'm due for another oil change, any suggestions? I always go by the manual, but that"s just me. Seems like 6.5 quarts would make it right on the stick though.

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,570 Posts
Our department just got in a batch or 2019 chargers equipped with the 5.7 hemi. I got my first oil change last month and they put in 6 quarts of oil. The level looked low to me, just barely on the bottom dot on the dipstick. The manual calls for 7 so they added another quart. Now the oil is about 3/8 of an inch above the top dot. I'm due for another oil change, any suggestions? I always go by the manual, but that"s just me. Seems like 6.5 quarts would make it right on the stick though.
It should be 7 quarts but that is from bone dry. As long as the level is in the safe area on the dip stick or close you are ok.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I do mine myself. I put in 6 quarts. Then I start it up and let it idle, maybe take it for a short drive. Then I use the dip stick method to get it back on the line - slowly adding oil and checking the dipstick each time. It usually turns out to be about 6.8 with an oil change with filter. Like dodgeguy says though, mine is not bone dry. I put my drain plug back on when the oil is still dripping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well .2 quarts won't make a difference. So i'm going to watch very carefully on the next oil change. I appreciate the replies. I'm going to make sure they're putting 7 in.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yep, just be sure they don't overfill. Over filling is more harmful than under filling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts