Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm thinking of changing the gears on my 8speed. Which is better for street use? Also please explain why is one better than other.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
3.06 would be a better highway gear and optimize fuel economy. The 3.73's are lower and will get you moving faster but reduce your fuel economy on the highway due to the higher RPM you'll be turning.

·
12,919 Posts
I have 3.91 gears and a 5-speed automatic. Low-end acceleration is much improved. However, as stated above, you'll pay for it with reduced gas mileage. Also, for me, 75 mph on the highway is about 3,000 rpm.

I would think that with the 8-speed and 3.73 gears, you would still do okay on the highway. Those gears will never slow your acceleration. Technically, they could reduce your top speed, assuming that you reach the engines rpm limit before you're drag or otherwise limited.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With the 8 speed, it seems like you could render 1st useless. I can see the benefit with a 5 speed, but honestly, unless you added a bunch of HP, I don't see it being a benefit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm by no means an expert, but the 8 speed has a low first and tall 8th. You will make one of those two useless, which would seem to me like a downgrade. On a 5 speed, there are many benefits to be had. I'd talk to someone who has actually done this before you drop 2k on your axle...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Agreed. The with the 8 speed you would probably introduce more shifts into your 0-60 and 1/4 then if you left it stock. This isn't a huge deal but it will slightly decrease times.

You would probably have a faster car 0-60 but would more or less turn the car into a 6 or 7 speed for all intents and purposes. So it really depends on what you are looking to do. If you are hell bent on a faster off the line jump then yes they will help.

I have the 3.06 in my RT with STP and it jumps quite nicely vs the stock RT gears (2.76 I think) My MPG does suffer a little over that same standard RT though. But I drive 85% city anyway which is why I purchased the R&T STP!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Me personally, I'd love to have a 3.23 vs 2.65 factory. Seems like an almost ideal gear, as you'd have the acceleration improvement, decent mpg, and not over step the shifts. Only slightly better than 3.06, but much better than 2.65.

·
Registered
136 Posts
3.23 would be a pretty sick gear choice over the 3.06 option. I think the issue is the EPA estimates that they would take a hit on putting them in the charger.

They need to keep that highway MPG up as high as possible due to the government restrictions. The 3.06 probably already hurts them by 1-2 MPG so the 3.23 would probably add yet another 1 mpg loss.

On a fleet of cars as large as the charger that really hurts Dodges overall average.

I think the 3.06 probably helps the 0-60 over the 2.65 by a tenth or two. 3.23's would probably put the RT in the 4.9 range

·
Registered
947 Posts
3.23 would be a pretty sick gear choice over the 3.06 option. I think the issue is the EPA estimates that they would take a hit on putting them in the charger.

They need to keep that highway MPG up as high as possible due to the government restrictions. The 3.06 probably already hurts them by 1-2 MPG so the 3.23 would probably add yet another 1 mpg loss.

On a fleet of cars as large as the charger that really hurts Dodges overall average.

I think the 3.06 probably helps the 0-60 over the 2.65 by a tenth or two. 3.23's would probably put the RT in the 4.9 range
Yeah, I know what you're saying, it would just be nice to have options for this 200mm rear end for those that want it. I'd like to find a lightweight driveshaft as well. I think the factory one weighs something like 65-75lbs, and most of the normal duty lightweight driveshafts are in the 15-20lbs range. A rotational mass reduction could only benefit efficiency and power transfer.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have 3.06 gears in mine with 8 spd. Granted I have awd but it gets it up there pretty easily. Plus you also are couple hundred pounds lighter with the rwd.

Also with 3.06 gears you maybe able to find rear end and computer in salvage yard off a totaled charger.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have 3.06 gears in mine with 8 spd. Granted I have awd but it gets it up there pretty easily. Plus you also are couple hundred pounds lighter with the rwd.

Also with 3.06 gears you maybe able to find rear end and computer in salvage yard off a totaled charger.
That's a great idea, most of the pick 'n' pull yards around here have everything but new chargers though. You know what I'd like to find though? A lightweight aluminum crank pulley, lightweight driveshaft, a 180 degree thermostat, TCM adjustment from Diablosport, and a better ring and pinion set. Add that to what I already have and I think I'd be very content.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I have a 2013 charger se v6 rwd project. And b4 you guys start I wanna just say that I am happy with my v6 and have no intentions of a v8 swap. I have recently added a dual strait pipe exsaust with a borla pro x muffler, added a revamp stage one programming chip, cold air intake with an ettlebrock oversized filter, and a 2" throttle body spacer, a new set of accel coil packs that power a set of, ngk laser cut iridium spark plugs. I have some very amazing pick up from about 3 grand but anything below shes just a grocery getter off the line.
Now I have done many many hours of research into new gears for the rear end to improve my 0-60 and with no avail keep coming up with not many awnsers, the same with new injectors and a possible throttle body upgrade, just looking for some good products. I also have thrown around the idea of a new diablo II tuner thinking that maybe traction controle and stability controls being shut off it will allow more torque to the rear end, but the down side to that is no controle! Is the tuner worth the 600.00 there chargering?
I've herd good things but now deffinat awnser. Any assistance or guidance will be greatly appreciated.
-pat-

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
If you just joined seven hours ago, why wouldn't you post a new thread on this instead of resurrecting the six year old zombie thread lol?
Believe me when I tell you that is highly unlikely anyone here would suggest a V8 swap...trade car maybe, but not a swap.
So your list thus far:
dual strait pipe exsaust with a borla pro x muffler - *straight, a strait is a body of water; by straight piped, one would assume you removed the cats then?
revamp stage one programming chip - no one uses "chips" anymore, those went out in the 90's. If it's not an actual tuner (or the PCM itself was remapped) it's worthless
cold air intake with an ettlebrock oversized filter - *Edelbrock, a proud longstanding name in the hotrodding community. Most CAI's are good for noise but not much else.
2" throttle body spacer - worthless unless you're drilling and plumbing it for nitrous jets
a new set of accel coil packs that power a set of - definitely don't hurt, but the return on investment isn't worth the price
ngk laser cut iridium spark plugs - fancy & expensive; as long as they are what is called for fine, at least you only had to buy six lol
I have some very amazing pick up from about 3 grand but anything below shes just a grocery getter off the line. - that's because you're driving a 4000+ pound sedan with a measly little six cylinder that only makes 260 lb-ft of torque all the way up at 4800 rpm. Having driven multiple 3.6 vehicles, I can confirm what you're feeling; that is literally you just getting into the engine's actual powerband at 3000 rpm and climbing.

Now I have done many many hours of research into new gears for the rear end to improve my 0-60 and with no avail keep coming up with not many awnsers, the same with new injectors and a possible throttle body upgrade, just looking for some good products. I also have thrown around the idea of a new diablo II tuner thinking that maybe traction controle and stability controls being shut off it will allow more torque to the rear end, but the down side to that is no controle! Is the tuner worth the 600.00 there chargering?
Gears would help, in this case you can either swap to a regular R/T differential (cheaper, but not really the ratio you're looking for and doesn't have mechanical LSD) or a Getrag swap from an SRT (comes with mechanical LSD and available in 3.06, 3.73 & 3.92 flavors). For your street vehicle I wouldn't go past a 3.06 unless you absolutely don't care about mileage.
Injector change would not help you because you would be trying to dump more fuel into an engine that doesn't need it (plus need a custom tune to scale them properly).
Tuner is always a good idea, but T&S control isn't limiting your torque to the wheels lol; you just don't have that much to begin with.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts