Dodge Charger Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Still haven't had the rear installed. Local shop wants 600$ to do the swap. I don't have a garage so I might wait for a warm dry weekend and do it outside by myself if I can get the car high enough and exhaust low enough. I really don't want to cut my exhaust. It is welded up not clamped together.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I would get the exhaust re-done so it can be dismantled for maintenance purposes.
I'm doing an Open-to-Open 2.65 to 3.06 right now and dropping the back end of the Corsa was a non-issue.

Get the pages from the service manual. Plan on having the car at ride height or having jacks to lift them to said if on jack stands. I have mine on ramps.

I don't know about the 2016 and up but there are some tight spots between the rear cross member and spare tire tub on mine.
I'll post the job when done.

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I did my 3.09 I had to pull the exhaust on the engine side of the x pipe for sure. Also a side note for you... You will have to compress the rear suspension most likely, both sides simultaneously, while you negotiate the diff down and out. My road and track wouldn't allow you to drop the diff down far enough without binding the half shafts on the lower suspension arm without the compression. It may be different if you don't have the super Trac pack suspension... Wasn't a bad job, but I wouldn't want to do it on my back... Also, I'd recommend new retaining rings for the half shafts.. why not you're there.... Oh and buy some beer and invite a friend, you'll never get her bolted in by yourself... It's to heavy to hold/negotiate and get a bolt started... Just my .02...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yes, the manual wants it at ride height or have jacks so you can compress them to simulate.
I just benched my 2.65 today and can tell you the pipes gone are nice.
When its time to separate the axles lowering the diff is required to create the distance by angling the axles downward. You push the diff all the way to one side and pull, pry, and curse the other side out. All the while keeping the drive shaft coupler at bay while you lower a little, try it, lower a little and try until it comes out. Lower too much and you can damage a boot or joint.

So the thing you do after setting the car up for the job is see if you can move your axles out of the diff a little. A nice size pry bar and something to make a fulcrum with to keep from bending up the seal shields. Just get them to budge to make sure they are not seized. There are horror stories of having to remove the outside components to go after them.
Mine were faking it a little but finally budged. Just budge them for confirmation because you will want one side all the way in while removing the 1st one.

265_to_1_removed.jpg

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think my exhaust guy can do the job and install my new vibrants for about 500$ so with the rear purchase I'll have it done for under 1000$. And I don't have to cuss. So there's my stimulus check ?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Its keeping me off the couch while I shelter in place.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So. I rolled into Walgreens last night searching for toilet paper. And a guy in a 2018 392 same color as mine pulls in behind me and asks about my exhaust. Got to talking to him and he owns a mobile mechanic service. I checked his reviews today and all looked good so he is coming to my house Monday the 13th and installing my 3.09 LSD for 250$ ?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thats a good price unless you are under with him, heh. Even if you help and its a Open to LSD its a good deal.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I would love to see pics or video of how much angle he uses on the half shafts to start them into the diff.
I know one can roll the diff to accept the 1st one, its starting the 2nd one I want to see.
I'm in the process of doing a swap now waiting for a seal installer disc tool to arrive. If you could get imagery of this it would be great.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts