Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've finally done the 3.09lsd swap in my own car now and I have to say it's not as hard as it seems but I do recommend that you use a lift and a transmission jack to do it and also have 2 people. The tools needed are a 15mm socket, a T50 Torx bit, a screwdriver, and a 21mm box-end wrench. I will attach the instructions provided to the dealership for technicians. You'll need around 6 hours at the most if you're doing this on jack stands as I did but if you're using a lift you can expect around 3.5-4.5 hours. The only part required for this swap is the diff itself self but to be safe I would replace all the hardware just in case. Also, don't be afraid to give the driveshaft a couple of taps if it's not wanting to disconnect from the diff after you unbolt it just make sure not to mar it or dent it as that could mess up the balancing which can cause vibration and possibly cause the trans, carrier bearing, and/or diff to wear out prematurely causing you to have to redo this or something more major. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me id be more then happy to help.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Just so those who have never done it, (I finished my 1st one today) the instructions make it sound WAY easier.
The best scenario is two people using a drive on lift with a jack that can raise and lower the diff.
There is also the difficult access to the rear cross member bolts, removing and reinstalling. They will test you and your tool box.
If at the home garage put it on ramps, have a helper, a transmission jack, a bottle jack to raise a wheel so you can spin a tire to move the splines in the diff if needed.
When going back together shove it over to get the 1st axle started and raise the diff back to ride height and the axle splines will be more cooperative. Then lower it again and shove it over to start the other onto the diff and raise back up like the 1st one.
All the while making sure you don't damage the new seals.

I did mine myself. A helper is of no use from 6 feet away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I've finally done the 3.09lsd swap in my own car now and I have to say it's not as hard as it seems but I do recommend that you use a lift and a transmission jack to do it and also have 2 people. The tools needed are a 15mm socket, a T50 Torx bit, a screwdriver, and a 21mm box-end wrench. I will attach the instructions provided to the dealership for technicians. You'll need around 6 hours at the most if you're doing this on jack stands as I did but if you're using a lift you can expect around 3.5-4.5 hours. The only part required for this swap is the diff itself self but to be safe I would replace all the hardware just in case. Also, don't be afraid to give the driveshaft a couple of taps if it's not wanting to disconnect from the diff after you unbolt it just make sure not to mar it or dent it as that could mess up the balancing which can cause vibration and possibly cause the trans, carrier bearing, and/or diff to wear out prematurely causing you to have to redo this or something more major. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me id be more then happy to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey joe; like what you did here, how's the performance of the car after the swap ? any kind of speedo error's, transmission shift issue's, etc ? looking to do this myself when the money become$ available. also , saved your instructions for future use. thanks.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm missing what gear you came from?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Allan, what did it cost for install?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well most shops wanted 5 hours labor. I found a guy that was a mobile mechanic that just happened to have a 2018 392 same color as my RT who did it for me for 250$.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts