Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 dodge charger 3.5 ltre
Had a knock for 2 weeks and then on way home from work it sounded like a badger trying to escape from engine. Started it for video and its squealing now too, can I rip it open and fix it or should I swap motor. Selling not an option!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Have you got a mechanic's stethoscope so you can try to verify that it isn't an accessory or timing belt/tensioner/water pump issue?

If the engine's lunched, you might be able to save yourself some money by looking for a compatible 4.0 engine. They're usually a lot cheaper than a 3.5, if you don't mind the labor of swapping everything over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didnt check codes, yes increase of knocking and tapping. Sounded like multiple sewing machines.

Before I parked it as I was driving home it would settle down a bit and become a singular constant knock. But then kick into a frenzy of tapping, and even stalled before getting into garage

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No codes?
Does the knock increase with RPM?
Have you got a mechanic's stethoscope so you can try to verify that it isn't an accessory or timing belt/tensioner/water pump issue?

If the engine's lunched, you might be able to save yourself some money by looking for a compatible 4.0 engine. They're usually a lot cheaper than a 3.5, if you don't mind the labor of swapping everything over.
I got a buddy who thinks something like what you've described is involved, I'm going to have him look at it and scan codes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts