Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many cammed 6.4s are on this forum? Is anyone running the comp 270 cam with real world feedback? Looking to wake the car up a bit short of FI, otherwise may as well buy a hellcat. Thanks!

·
Registered
831 Posts
How many cammed 6.4s are on this forum? Is anyone running the comp 270 cam with real world feedback? Looking to wake the car up a bit short of FI, otherwise may as well buy a hellcat. Thanks!
I don't have an answer to your question, just have to say I'm loving that custom SRT badge on the back! Is that a devil's head? Very cool-looking!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Not many 392's with the Comp 270 from what I have seen. Most go with a custom grind. Plenty of 5.7L results with 270 on the Challenger Talk forum.

If you are looking for around 500 hp to the wheels, check out MMX and their Max Cam. Get a little lope with it also. Longtubes required for max benefit, but IMO ported heads will not get you much as shown in the vid below. Heads on the stock 5.7L are good for 600 hp and the 6.4L apache heads flow even better.

IMO, unless you like to track the car 500 wheel hp is all you need on the street. Most Hellcats and a lot of 392's can not hook on the street anyway. Reason why you see 0-60 times in the low-mid 4 second range.

Over on the Hellcat site, some of the redeye and hellcat Widebody owners are getting 12 inch wheels with 345's out back. Reporting good traction from a stop. Upgrading to the Hellcat is a lot of $$ for just a little improvement on the street IMO.

Reactions: Nuwanda

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not many 392's with the Comp 270 from what I have seen. Most go with a custom grind. Plenty of 5.7L results with 270 on the Challenger Talk forum.

If you are looking for around 500 hp to the wheels, check out MMX and their Max Cam. Get a little lope with it also. Longtubes required for max benefit, but IMO ported heads will not get you much as shown in the vid below. Heads on the stock 5.7L are good for 600 hp and the 6.4L apache heads flow even better.

IMO, unless you like to track the car 500 wheel hp is all you need on the street. Most Hellcats and a lot of 392's can not hook on the street anyway. Reason why you see 0-60 times in the low-mid 4 second range.

Over on the Hellcat site, some of the redeye and hellcat Widebody owners are getting 12 inch wheels with 345's out back. Reporting good traction from a stop. Upgrading to the Hellcat is a lot of $$ for just a little improvement on the street IMO.
Thanks for the feedback. Spoke with a bunch of shops and think I'm going to schedule with HHP for the comp 270 or 274. 274 doesn't come on strong until 3500rpm or so but I'm used to big turbo cars that don't have usable powerband until around that point anyhow.

OST has an awesome package; the big daddy cam with ported heads / converter which will garner 500+ but we're talking enough money to trade and buy hellcat. These guys were extremely helpful on the phone and very pleasant to deal with.

MMX has some nice sounding cams that likely make decent power but I was less than thrilled when talking with them. I'm sure they have plenty of happy customers and don't want to discredit their reputation, may have been who I spoke with.

All in all HHP's price is reasonable, both cams make decent power, and they're very reputable. Undecided about longtubes as all shops mentioned the stock shortys flow well enough unless you go FI. For a $2500 investment, 5 extra HP doesn't make sense, although it would certainly sound good!

I'll keep this post updated once the work is complete, HHP is booked until June!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
My bust, I keep thinking 5.7L (Getting old). The 392 has excellent short tubes. Not sure how much more hp you would get with the longtubes vs cost.

Can not go wrong with any of the shops mentioned. Mike at OST is my current tuner and is excellent. Will not steer you wrong. Josh at HHP is also another excellent tuner. Busy shop

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
im taking my 2017 392 in for a cam upgrade next week,
comp cam HTR stage 2
Kooks headers mids and cats
ill keep you posted

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Very interested in your results. Will be getting a Clallenger Scat Pack Shaker Widebody 392 this summer and don't want to supercharge it but will be adding what you are planning. Just curious why the 3 inch mid-pipe? Saw your post on the Challenger Talk. Will be following the thread over there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
il will post results soon , and let you know about the 3 inch mids,
nobody on these forums had the HTR stage 2 cam installled (im sure someone did)from what they told me its a very good grind, it will give me at least 75 hp keepin reliability and drivability.this shop builds mopars only and had for years,they are not worried at all about my stock pistons.they never had one in the cars they worked on blow one. its all in the tune

·
Registered
4 Posts
il will post results soon , and let you know about the 3 inch mids,
nobody on these forums had the HTR stage 2 cam installled (im sure someone did)from what they told me its a very good grind, it will give me at least 75 hp keepin reliability and drivability.this shop builds mopars only and had for years,they are not worried at all about my stock pistons.they never had one in the cars they worked on blow one. its all in the tune
75 hp more at the rear wheels? I’m NO EXPERT. But I didn’t know you could get those gains without a big change in drivability. Best of luck. I’d love to read about the results. Hope you get what you are looking to out if it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man ,,i know its been a long time , but im done with my NA 6.4 build,
Not quite at 500 RWHP yet, did not have a hellcat throttle body at the time of the build(but have one now and will be installed this spring)
really happy with the outcome, nice lope, great sound and drivability(didn't wanna go to aggressive with the tune)
Comp cam HTR stage 2, cam phaser, PSI springs, Manley titanium retainers, Manley shims, iridium sparkplugs, CAI, Kooks LTH, mids and high flow cats,
Will tweak the tune after the throttle body install and give some more feedback , Facebook

1 - 17 of 17 Posts