Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!! So here's the deal, I bought a 2012 Charger SE, that came with the 4.3RHA uconnect radio. Now, I know that there is a long long dedicated forum concerning the upgrade to the 8.4 screen, but I feel that my car hasn't been represented just yet.

I went to a dealer about 25 miles away, and while my buddy was buying a car of his own, I decided to talk to their parts people. The gentlemen looked up my car via VIN, and told me i could not upgrade to the RB5 because i do not have the proper sales codes. Then he recommended the RE2, and told me that EVERYTHING would work, except the NAV of course. I kept this in mind and decided to visit another dealer, where they told me that I couldn't upgrade to an 8.4 screen AT ALL. He told me that my sales codes didn't match EITHER the RE2 OR the RB5. Here are my questions, albeit some might be dumb.

1)Can sales codes be added to a vehicle?
2)has anyone gone from RHA to RE2 or RB5?

THANK YOU!!:TU:

·
6,000 Posts
There's been quite a few discussions on here about the swap. Try sending a pm to Velocity for some more info. Or, search all posts for radio swaps.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
There's a whole thread dedicated to this, read up and enjoy.

[URL]http://chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146502[/URL]

The hard part is the upgrade to the 8.4" screen; there are environmental control issues that you may or may not have. But if you can use a RE2, then you can use the RB5 too.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
1)Can sales codes be added to a vehicle?
2)has anyone gone from RHA to RE2 or RB5?
:
I don't think the sales code are an accurate way to check to see if you can go from the 4.3" to the 8.4" screen.

I called Steve White motors and was told based on my codes that I was not prewired for the backup camera and that I didn't have the code for my climate control to function.

I was both pre-wired for backup camera and all my climate control works.

As the long thread says multiple times, the best indicator if everything will work is if you have auto climate control or not.

If the RE2 will work, so will the RB5. If you don't have satellite radio then you will need to add an attenna.

Grant

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
The SE trims have issues with this upgrade. You have to weigh the pro's and cons.
A small percentage of SE's have the auto-climate controls, does your large center knob say "auto" on it, on the climate control plate? If it does, then I say go for it.
If it does not have the auto-climate, then the cons come into play. You can do the upgrade, but the climate control features in the 8.4 screen will not work. Your regular climate controls will still control your heating and a/c, but it will falsely keep telling you its at a constant 72º, and I'm told by some, your fan will blow full power all the time.
Any car that can be upgraded to a RE2 can also be upgraded to an RB5, there's no difference between the two except the navigation software.
Personally, if I didnt have the auto-climate, I'd shelve this upgrade until some whiz kid comes along and makes the cons history.
If your still hell bent on doing it, and have $1000 ya wanna spend, hit the thread that Smitty gave you, and we'll all be more then happy coach ya through the upgrade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your help guys I really do appreciate it. Half of me says why not and just do it. But it is a lot of money and who knows what will happen. How does the Sirius subscription work? Also where can I find a sat/nav antenna? Would it go in the dash?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The SE trims have issues with this upgrade. You have to weigh the pro's and cons.
A small percentage of SE's have the auto-climate controls, does your large center knob say "auto" on it, on the climate control plate? If it does, then I say go for it.
If it does not have the auto-climate, then the cons come into play. You can do the upgrade, but the climate control features in the 8.4 screen will not work. Your regular climate controls will still control your heating and a/c, but it will falsely keep telling you its at a constant 72º, and I'm told by some, your fan will blow full power all the time.
Any car that can be upgraded to a RE2 can also be upgraded to an RB5, there's no difference between the two except the navigation software.
Personally, if I didnt have the auto-climate, I'd shelve this upgrade until some whiz kid comes along and makes the cons history.
If your still hell bent on doing it, and have $1000 ya wanna spend, hit the thread that Smitty gave you, and we'll all be more then happy coach ya through the upgrade.
Has some wizkid came up with anything yet? lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Soto, I did the 4.3 to RB5 swap about 3 years ago. And its been running great. The climate issue is no biggy to me. The only difference is you have to use the manual fan knob and the screen falsly reads 72.
I added the sat. antenna for sirius radio and it works great.
I also recently picked up the factory rear view camera kit from the dealer. Ive installed the camera a did the wiring, I now have to go into the dealer to get the sales codes changed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Soto, I did the 4.3 to RB5 swap about 3 years ago. And its been running great. The climate issue is no biggy to me. The only difference is you have to use the manual fan knob and the screen falsly reads 72.
I added the sat. antenna for sirius radio and it works great.
I also recently picked up the factory rear view camera kit from the dealer. Ive installed the camera a did the wiring, I now have to go into the dealer to get the sales codes changed.
Didnt know you could get codes changed, which codes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts