Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with the 4 piston front brakes, what did you choose for replacement parts and how did you like it? I was considering OEM replacements, but if they warp in 20k miles why get them again...?
I do want to stick with the slots.

My deal:
2017 Charge R/T Scat Pack. I'm the only owner. Factory brakes @ 28k miles. First car with the non floating type of caliper.

In the early 20k miles I noticed a pulsation from the front brakes. At 28k I am positive I have warped rotors. It caught me by surprise because I am not hard on the brakes and I have never had rotors warp on any of my previous cars. But as mentioned these are my first fixed caliper brakes.

I have gathered some p/n information about the 2017 factory parts and will post it below in case it helps anyone else. I have seen websites label rotors of the wrong diameter as exact fit. Even my local dealer couldn't tell me the diameter of the factory rotors

Brake code: BR4
Front Rotor : 5290537AD
Diameter : 360mm (14.17in.)
Thickness : 32mm

Rear Rotor : 5290538AD
Diameter : 350mm (13.78in.)
Thickness : 28mm

Front Pads : 68144213AB
Rear Pads : 68144223AB

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody? Mueller?
Someone has to have changed their rotors and pads on the 4 piston Brembos

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I've replace brake pads and rotors on my SRT and they've been good for nearly 50k without issue and they're oem.

·
848 Posts
Just an FYI, rotors don't warp.

What is often described as “warping” is actually the presence of two separate phenomena that can happen in isolation or in combination with each other, and neither has anything to do with warping.

These phenomena are:

• Brake torque variation (BTV), and
  • Disc thickness variation (DTV)
BTV is a variation of torque across the rotor’s face which causes the rotor to slip and catch as the caliper is engaged. The differences in torque across the rotor may be caused by inconsistencies in the rotor’s finish or metallurgy.

BTV can be caused by uneven deposits of friction material. This might not cause a pulsation in pedal feel, but it will cause vehicle judder or vibration.

DTV, on the other hand, is the result of measuring the thickness of the rotor surface in multiple spots around the rotor. DTV measurement can be found simply by finding the difference between the thickest part of the rotor from the thinnest.

As the rotor’s variable thicknesses pass through the restricted caliper, the piston moves in and out, causing pulsations in the brake pedal while stopping.

Pads could have been contaminated leading to your issues, unfortunately there wasn't much else I could add to this conversation as I have the 6 piston setup.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to replace the rotors and pads today but couldn't get the rotor off. Must be frozen to the hub. Tried a little PB blaster and a block of wood and a hammer on the back, but no budging....
20190427_114258.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts