Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they used to make an AWD HEMI before 2014. I really like the new design better the older design just looked like it had a snout and it doesn't sit well with me. I know the police version of the charger has AWD and the 5.7 but it only has a 5 Speed automatic, which im not sure as to why they didnt put in a 8 speed as the other pursuit models have the 8 speed (durango pursuit) is there not enough room?

How hard would it be to ethier plop in a 5.7 into a v6 awd or convert a 5.7 to AWD. I know armourmax did a AWD conversion to a hellcat could someone else do the same to a 5.7.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Same platform, it was probably to save cost (ZF's are expensive when you look at the option sheet) and cop cars didn't really need the gear split plus double overdrive. Neither idea you are proposing would be any easier than the other. 3.6 to 5.7 different electronics and trans (they don't use the same 8sp), plus suspension pieces (shocks, springs, possibly brakes) due to weight difference (might be able to get away with using 11-14 pieces). Converting a RWD to AWD would require a complete swap of the front and rear suspensions, transfer case, integration into the existing electronics to work correctly, etc. That AWD Hellcat conversion uses all kinds of custom parts (none of that shit is off the shelf) and is expensive as hell, on top of purchasing the expensive as hell car. Honestly the easiest way to accomplish this would be to get an AWD pursuit and retrofit the 8sp. Even with the cost of the trans, shifter (you'd have to convert it to floor shift to use the electronic shifter), the adapter harness cost wise you'd probably still be ahead of the other two options.

I have no idea, but is it possible to retrofit the front fenders and fascia from a 2015+ to a 2011-2014 so you get the look and the AWD?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About buying a used pursuit in putting in an eight speed but I’m not sure how that would work. Plus it wouldn’t have the blindside and the forward collision warning which I want a car

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
8 speed is to long to fit behind a Hemi with AWD... gotta have room for the transfer case...
Sixers have 8sp/AWD. Since the 3.6 doesn't sit further forward (there's a huge gap up front), this tells me the engine to trans mating position (no pun intended lol) is in the same spot. Remember, the tailshaft gets replaced with a transfer case adapter which shortens it. I'm willing to bet just to keep costs down, (since they are still building both 3.6 AND 5.7 AWD's, even with different transmisisons) that the transfer case sits in roughly the same position.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how much would it cost, I mean the 3.6 is cool but the 5.7 and I go WAYYY back. like is this even possible? assuming money wasnt a problem how much would it cost to ethier put a 8 spd in a pursuit or convert a 5.7 to awd doing what armormax did.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
the six is shorter than the eight... "mating position" is further forward ?
Yes it is, but like I said there's a big gap up front, the front of the 3.6 doesn't sit where the front of the 5.7 does......I would find it very hard to believe that location would not be standardized across the platform as that would affect the bottom line. I will continue to believe that until proven otherwise.

So how much would it cost, I mean the 3.6 is cool but the 5.7 and I go WAYYY back. like is this even possible? assuming money wasnt a problem how much would it cost to ethier put a 8 spd in a pursuit or convert a 5.7 to awd doing what armormax did.
To install an 8HP70 you'll need the retrofit harness ($1000 non-negotiable), a trans (anywhere from $800 to $2000 from what I've seen) and the electronic shifter from an 8sp car. Sound German Automotive figured this out and has the harnesses. You'll need to figure out on your own adapting the t-case to your trans, driveshafts (if necessary) and getting the trans tuned for your engine (if necessary).
As for Armormax, well you'll have to call them, they used something strong enough to hold up to 650ft/lbs and bolts to the back of an 8HP90....why do you think Trackhawks are so expensive lol?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts