Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that going 8 cylinder all the time will increase longevity & performance. True or? Is there any benefit in using 8 all the time? Also will it drastically increase gas cost? Is changing a simple computer mod?
I am very new to this so any help is appreciated...

Mike

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have been told that going 8 cylinder all the time will increase longevity & performance. True or? Is there any benefit in using 8 all the time? Also will it drastically increase gas cost? Is changing a simple computer mod?

Mike
Hello and welcome Mike! It depends on the person and what you're aim is w/the car...for performance minded..it's a 'go big or go home' kinda thing and 8 will perform better (in most cases), but if your concern is gas mileage, then yes..keep w/ECO-Mode turned on. However, if you need to act suddenly (needing to switch lanes abruptly and accelerate quickly,) eco-mode takes it a sec to kick off and get you back to full 8 and you will feel that lag.

Turning it completely off is as simple as plugging in a programmer (Diablosport, B&G, Accel, etc..) and turning it off, as well as I believe there is also a setting in the Tazer Programmer that does it as well.

Increasing gas cost comes down to the driver most times as well, weather or not you have a "lead-foot" and weather you consistently drive at a calm, normal pace...but naturally, a V8 will always suck more gas than anything below it...just the name of the game.

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have hear about the hesitaton in cruise control mode and don't like that idea. That being said I'll see how it goes on my 3000 mile drive from Toronto to Vancouver an go from there, thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have not noticed any delay in coming out of 4-cyl mode on my 17 R/T Daytona 5.7L. When I get on it it goes right now. As far as I am concerned there is absolutely no penalty to leaving it engaged.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Mike
The longevity is the bigger issue in all of this. The MDS lifters have a problem with the roller bearings seizing up when they are hydraulically actuated to activate/deactivate four cylinders. This will wipe the lobes off of the camshaft and mess up your motor. It's a pretty expensive fix and it's happening to allot of people.

Fix 1: Use a tuner to turn off MDS
While this can prevent roller bearing seizing while the car is running, it cannot prevent seizing upon starting of the engine. This is because the MDS lifters still have to actuate upon startup.

Fix 2: Install non-MDS lifters and camshaft
If you are planning to do a cam swap in the future then this is a way to take care of the MDS lifter problem entirely and also add HP. If you go this route you can keep the stock cam, or go for a more aggressive cam. Either way you will need a tuner to turn off the signal to the MDS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts