Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 5.7l R/T w/137k miles. Completely stock at the moment cars thrown the P0303 code. Thinking lifter froze and took out the cam on cylinder 3. So plan is to do cam, lifters and whatever else is needed for a possible non-mds cam.
Give some ideas for me have $2400 to work with right now maybe another $800 in a week.

Have looked into HHP stage 2 master kit a MMX kit for the 270 cam with everything included and a new/used 54k miles remanded motor. Also have a message out to Jay Greene for his thoughts on it. Just want the ol girl back up and running. Open to any ideas
Thanks Y’all.

·
Hey y'all, watch this!
1,989 Posts
I'd diagnose exactly what is wrong 1st. That code could be mechanical, plugs, injector, coil pack, etc. then decide what you need to do.

·
Hey y'all, watch this!
1,989 Posts
May want to swap the injector from a different cylinder & see if it moves. If not you can pull a valve cover & see if the valve is opening like is should. Also may want to check that your intake is torqued properly, the 5.7s are notorious for loosening up so it could also be a slight vacuum leak.

·
Registered
960 Posts
2011 5.7l R/T w/137k miles. Completely stock at the moment cars thrown the P0303 code. Thinking lifter froze and took out the cam on cylinder 3. So plan is to do cam, lifters and whatever else is needed for a possible non-mds cam.
Give some ideas for me have $2400 to work with right now maybe another $800 in a week.

Have looked into HHP stage 2 master kit a MMX kit for the 270 cam with everything included and a new/used 54k miles remanded motor. Also have a message out to Jay Greene for his thoughts on it. Just want the ol girl back up and running. Open to any ideas
Thanks Y’all.
Did you have a lot of noise or just an engine code?

·
Registered
993 Posts
If indeed a lifter took out the lobe,

Several have went back in with a Challenger 6speed manual cam & lifters, they are non-MDS and a touch more aggressive. You may not even need a tune. Not sure.

You cannot mix a non-MDS cam or lifters with MDS parts. Not for long anyways.

Mr. Green will have good info. Ask about needing a tune or not when going with performance cams. Its mo-money.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As stated, cheapest way to go non MDS is the Challenger 6sp Cam P/N 53022064BD currently on Rockauto for $80 bucks. Your choice of Non MDS LIfters (btw no such thing as hellcat lifters. They are all the same). This way requires no tune and tech could gain you 5 more hp as the Chally was rated 375hp in manual form from what I have read.

I personally am rocking this setup. So far I am pleased with it. Although If I had money I would like to go with the 392 non MDS cam, correct pushrods/spirngers & hardware, the 392 intake/ exhaust and raise the rpms up for a complete package to gain solid broader usable power.

Any major aftermarket cam is going to require Phaselimiter, Tune, possible springs/pushrods etc etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got with Mr. Greene yesterday, have a 1.5LL cam coming in with a I3 tuner. This cam allows me to use stock internals with the new lifters. Going to open up the valve covers once I get off shift Thursday morning, to confirm no mechanical issues with springs or valves.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Good luck. We would enjoy lots of pics throughout the job.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Got with Mr. Greene yesterday, have a 1.5LL cam coming in with a I3 tuner. This cam allows me to use stock internals with the new lifters. Going to open up the valve covers once I get off shift Thursday morning, to confirm no mechanical issues with springs or valves.
Read about it. Say you can use MDS lifters, I highly suggest not using MDS lifters what so ever unless the cam is MDS cam.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The kit is coming from Greene racing, putting in what Jay suggested. Will be a while until the cam comes in, but I plan on getting into the car soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts