Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at buying a 2014 or 2015 Dodge Charger R/T. Just wondering if the 5 speed or 8 speed has any advantages or disadvantages. Also wondering which models came with paddle shifters. Thanks!

·
Registered
932 Posts
The five speed is fine but the A8 is the way to go. You want the R/T Road and Track model to get paddle shifters and performance pages, 20” aluminum wheels, nicer interior, etc. The Super Track Pack option gives you sport steering, HD brakes with a 3.07 rear ratio. Here’s an excerpt from Car and Driver magazine:
Thanks to a rigid unibody, the basic Charger R/T nicely manages yaw, pitch, and roll. But those who love to drive are advised to get the 29R Customer Preferred pack, which upgrades the car, as it did on our test example, to Road & Track spec. Doing so means a cornucopia of goodies including the Super Track Pak sport suspension; the Road & Track Performance Group with more aggressive throttle mapping, revised traction control (higher intervention threshold), heavy-duty brakes, 20-inch aluminum wheels, and sportier rubber (245/45 Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 all-season performance tires); and Dodge’s Performance Pages software, which allows the driver to track acceleration, cornering, and a variety of other numeric markers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So as I am looking at cars online if they have paddle shifters does that mean it is in fact a road and track model?

·
Registered
427 Posts
So as I am looking at cars online if they have paddle shifters does that mean it is in fact a road and track model?
Not necessarily. I have a 2013 AWD RT Plus, and it came with paddle shifters. The Road and Track is a good package, though. Most people listing a car with that pkg will probably include it in the description.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
5sp is adequate, 8sp is definitely better with the gear ratio split and another overdrive gear but you're stuck with a car that looks like an overgrown Dart lol. If you like the 15+ styling then you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
My broke ass half a . 01 and from one that's owned both, I must agree that the ZF 8Sp is definitely the better trans and is why it's used in a lot of vehicles! It plants the power way more efficiently and effectively than the 5sp...don't get me wrong, the 5sp is a good trans in it's own right, but for me, once I got behind the wheel of an 8sp, that was it for me! Outside of having a true dual clutch, this is by far the superior trans...
Btw, my '14 R/T Plus AWD didn't come from factory with paddles, I added them on and just used my Tazer programmer to "enact" them, but most of the upper V8' s come with factory paddles and some upper trimmed V6's (Blacktop packages, GT's)

Reactions: Nuwanda

·
Registered
427 Posts
Btw, my '14 R/T Plus AWD didn't come from factory with paddles, I added them on and just used my Tazer programmer to "enact" them, but most of the upper V8' s come with factory paddles and some upper trimmed V6's (Blacktop packages, GT's)
Interesting. I didn't buy my '13 AWD RT Plus new (it had 27k miles). I wonder why mine has them? I may have to dig into my car's first 3 years of ownership a bit further. I'm curious now. I just assumed it was an RT Plus thing.

Reactions: MadMaxx

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Interesting. I didn't buy my '13 AWD RT Plus new (it had 27k miles). I wonder why mine has them? I may have to dig into my car's first 3 years of ownership a bit further. I'm curious now. I just assumed it was an RT Plus thing.
Yeah, I think they're hit or miss, cause 2 other R/T Plus AWD's that I went to look at before Sherilyn had paddles on both...which I thought was weird!

Reactions: Nuwanda
1 - 10 of 10 Posts