Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to tell everyone that the 6.4 intake swap went flawlessly and it is very very noticeable gain, at least from the butt dyno. I picked everything up from eBay and was pretty easy if you know how to solder wires. I'll post some picks of the install if anyone is interested or has any questions.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Definitely interested in seeing and learning more about this mod. Keep us posted. If you can do a write-up as well that would be helpful.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the swap instructions on another forum so I cant take credit for it but I'll lay it out for you and all the part numbers you will need.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Intake manifold P/N (includes all gasket, O-rings, mounting bolts): 68090674AA
(any intake on ebay for 6.4 will work, just make sure it was a SRV (short runner valve) port on the back.

Pigtail connector: 1-68064996AA
steve white mopar parts sells them on ebay, comes with wires, connectors and pins.

Clean Air Duct: 05038430AD or your choice of 392 CAI
I bought a second hand airaid system for a 6.4 on ebay. youll need the bend tube to make it work with the new intake. Also about a foot of 5/8 hose from advanced auto.

MSD Box: P/N 8969 ---ebay
Cirkit Boss: 70213 ---ebay

others parts you'll need depending on what you can find
-SRV valve p/n 05038529AA or 05038529AB one is a updated
-SRV seal p/n 53022322AA
-SRV bolt need to buy 3 they are sold individual p/n 06509377AA
-6.4 map sensor, the 5.7 one twists on so it wont work you'll need a 6.4 one. I don't have a part number cause I ran to advanced auto and got one and used a trim bolt I had left over.
-6.4 catch can from ebay, cheap catch can that works it was 100 bucks, it has enough hose to hook up to the new intake so you don't have to fret about transferring the hoses off the 5.7 intake. Get one -- trust me after pulling the intake and seeing what 45Kmiles looks like without one its nasty.

here is the diagram for how I did the wiring --
MSD:
White ---------- injector (Back injector on passenger) with green marker on it
Red-------------Purple wire on Circuit boss
Yellow---------Orange on intake
Black-----------Piggy-backed by connector and connected to Circuit boss and Intake orange - These all end up wby the circuit boss ground. It's a black wired loop at the base and is grounded when you mount it.
Grey------------Not used

MSD Setup:

RPM "ON" set to 46, 48, ect (For 4600 rpms, 4800 rpms....)
RPM "Off" set to 80 for 8,000 rpms
Cylinger set at 1 for V8 with coil packs

Circuit Boss
Red-------------Connected to external positive power right next to battery or on the fuse box post up front
Pink-------------Open the bottom of the fuse box, and look for a pink/blue wire its a accessory power wire, follow it down the harness for a good point to spice in, make sure you use your DMM and have the run button (on) but engine off to see the power at 12volts before cutting.

Yellow----------Not used so tape it off until you want to use it for nitrous later ;-)
Blue-------------Intake orange power wire, make sure you mark which wire is which so they do not get mixed up
Purple----------MSD Red
Black-----------Ground

Ground:
piggy back the intake connector (orange) to the black (MSD) and then after trimming length add a round connector to the end so you can screw it down along with the circuit boss ground when you secure the circuit boss to the fender.
Drill a small hole smaller than the screw and then install the screws using the ruber pads on each side and applying the grounds to the one side with the round connector (circuit boss ground).

Power:
Drill holes for the circuit boss, attach to fender, connect the red wire from the circuit boss to one side and then attach another red wire from the circuit breaker marked battery side and then attach that part of the red wire to the factory positive battery post with the round connector supplied with the boss kit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for some tips that will help you
-the map sensor will need to be extended to reach the new 6.4 one, easy peasy just use the left over wires from the msd wiring you cut.
-AIT sensor (air intake temp) will need to be extend a bit to reach the new intake tube, again easy peasy use left over wires from the msd.
-I used cloth tape to make it look factory but you can do it how ever you want

if you run into problems or have any questions let me know, I did this in about 2 nights after work. its simple just need a few hours to wire and after that its just bolt, plug, then go :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Few questions as i am looking to possibly do this upgrade...

Can i reuse my 5.7L TB? I assume the intake itself will have to be a 6.4L intake.
If i have a Catch Can right now for my 5.7L will this same one work with the new intake manifold?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah you can reuse the 5.7 TB and Gasket if its in good shape, That's I did I also used my 5.7 injectors and rail, just swapped right over, as far as the 5.7 catch can, I do not know, I think you could reuse it if you got some more hose to cut to length from autozone or what ever parts house you go to. the mounting for my 6.4 catch can I got was right on the front of the passenger head. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
254 Posts
What sort of horsepower/torque does this actually give us 5.7 owners?

Reactions: Ecko619er

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your gonna gain anything from 15-25-30 hp across the board here are some dyno charts I found of someone that did the swap. I have yet to dyno my car due to I don't honestly mind the numbers I'm all about feel lol.
Long%20Runner%20Only.jpg
Short%20Runner%20at%204800%20RPMS.jpg
Short%20Runner%20Only.jpg

·
Registered
254 Posts
Jesus, those gains just for a 6.4 intake manifold? That'll be the first thing I do if I decide to buy this R/T after my lease is up in 3yrs and I cannot find a low mileage 2017 Daytona 392. I suspect with the 6.4 manifold, full exhaust headers back, and a tune will get me in the mid 400hp range at the crank. Reasonable?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I was amazed how much more pull I felt through the rpm and no more dead spots in the powerband, but just like your debit card bills it all adds up lol, Longtube headers, a good tune, you should be seeing some amazing results. I got my whole intake swap off ebay for around 500-600 bucks for everything I needed, that's a steal for that power. I think LT's add 15 hp across the board so it would be a awesome supporting mod, I'm just too darn lazy to put them on or I would and give you guys a dyno report haha.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thank you very much for all the information. This looks a little harder of a project than I think I can handle though. Maybe some day.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
This looks awesome! That's nice power for the price you wound up paying. It pays to do some research! Did you notice any differences in your intake noise?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Forgot to answer intake noise.... sounds deeper :) I have stock air box with K&N filter. Also cut a hole in front of air box just like a Hellcat air box. You can buy a 3 inch flange at Pep Boys for $6. Paint black works well.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The gains aren't surprising, the car eagle 5.7 is rated at 370-375 and the truck version is rated 390-395, only real difference being that active runner intake.
That's true... this has probably been touched on somewhere, but aren't 5.7 guys swapping the intake from the Ram?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts