Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I’ve been poking around here on the forums and figured I’d join in to meet some new people and make some connections.
I’m located in the Chicagoland area and recently caught a 2007 Dodge Charger 2.7l for sale in Wisconsin!
Body is super clean, but it definitely needs some TLC.

Long story short, I purchased the car as a project. I’m super interested in potentially doing an engine swap to a Hemi or SRT8 engine. I know most Mopar folks would prefer to build than buy stock and that’s where I’m at. I’m also not willing to accumulate more debt just to ride clean, aka a car note.

I’m sure this question has been asked a million times over, but I’m curious to see who may have a breakdown in costs?

Additionally, what are the odds of me adding the 2018/2019 dash touchscreen to my car?

Any referrals to mechanics or people in the area would be helpful.

While I’m not seeking a Hellcat engine at all, this project has the most similarity in what I’m going for: 2007 Charger with a Hellcat V8 – Engine Swap Depot

I’m super open for feedback and suggestions.

Let’s Build!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
An SRT8 engine is a hemi in this platform lol. The first questions this begs are: what is your mechanical/electrical skill level and what is your budget? Because if you don't have a whole lot of the former you're gonna need a whole lot more of the latter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An SRT8 engine is a hemi in this platform lol. The first questions this begs are: what is your mechanical/electrical skill level and what is your budget? Because if you don't have a whole lot of the former you're gonna need a whole lot more of the latter.
Lmao had to make sure! Got into a whole spat on FB with a guy who didn’t want me to call the SRT8 an SRT8 😭

Also, I wouldn’t be doing any of this by hand, I’d majority be paying for Labor on this.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The only good way to do this is to get a fairly complete donor car, rip everything out of your car, then rip everything out of the donor and put it in your car. It's amazing how little the structure itself has changed in 15yrs. A dude on Youtube basically emptied the contents of a newer Scat Challenger into a Magnum. There are shops that are more than capable of doing this however, you will end up paying more in parts and labor than the car is ultimately ever gonna be worth. Labor especially, that hourly rate adds up QUICK. You'd be light years ahead dropping a replacement engine in and selling it, then buying what you want. 06-10 R/T's are fairly inexpensive, 06-08's more so than 09-10.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good candidate for a drag car where all you need is the body in white. The best bet would be to search for a low mileage RT ample supply if you are willing to drive...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
This^^^^^
Don't need it to function quite right, just a bare bones strip warrior? Perfect. Want it to be a street car that behaves itself and doesn't throw lights every time you look at it sideways, start with a better foundation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts