Dodge Charger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

Registered
2018 Charger here. Same issue. Major ghost issues almost prohibitive to even use radio. Out of warranty but clearly a defect and recall/class action case.

Registered

Registered
100 dollars to look at a broken screen and type into a computer. A grand total of 5 minutes of work..

Tell them they can either look at it for free or the dealership down the road can get your business and dodges payment for parts and labor when they replace this manufacturering defect.
correcton, it's $67 with tax. I just looked at her appointment online. If Dodge won't cover the cost i'm just going to fix it myself. I'll let them order the radio and then cancel that crap. I'm making her buy a toyota next time. I never wanted this car.

Registered
This happened to mine a month ago. Purchased it back in May and it was out of warranty, so I just forked over a few hundred for a new LCD screen and replaced it on my own. The new one works great, just not the way I wanted to spend $300.

I noticed the price of these replacement LCD screens has gone up on eBay since I bought mine, likely due to the high demand.
I can't find one for less than $600. I'm assuming this is the one that's in all chargers? LA084X01-SL01 LG original 8.4-inch high-definition car screen touch #am | eBay

Registered
2017 RT Charger
So I just picked my car up.

The radio was replaced for free and looks and functions great.

Here are a few things I want to share with the community regarding the replacement.

I spoke with the FCA customer care representative and told them that several other owners are having the same issue with the screen delaminating. They said that there are a number of factors taken into account when FCA decides to replace the radio or not. Some of these factors are:

Age and mileage of the car (mine was well under what they would cover)
Number of owners registered to the VIN (I am the 2nd owner)
Frequency or regularity of service visits to Dodge/Chrysler dealerships and the service representatives overall take on you as a customer (I've had a few visits for scheduled maintenance since owning the car)
Number of FCA products owned in the past (this is my first Dodge, FWIW)
Overall demeanor when interacting with FCA representatives on the phone.

I hope this helps in any way.

Registered
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
Discussion Starter #89
Ok, age of vehicle and mileage. What are the parameters for this I mean really the year shouldn鈥檛 matter IMO since we talk 2015s+ that鈥檚 rather recent. But, what about mileage how high are we talking?

Registered
2017 RT Charger
Ok, age of vehicle and mileage. What are the parameters for this I mean really the year shouldn鈥檛 matter IMO since we talk 2015s+ that鈥檚 rather recent. But, what about mileage how high are we talking?
I am at 50k and they said I was well under the threshold; but it is only one of the factors they consider. It sounded like this: a single owner with higher miles will have a better change of getting it replaced vs the 4th owner on the VIN with less miles, as there are more chances for one of the owners to cause the issue (although with this issue, idk how the owner can cause the damage). They also said they have to basically 'pitch' your case to the higher ups and justify Dodge fixing the issue.

FWIW it doesn't sound very cut and dry, it's more of a matrix of factors they consider. I guess I was lucky.

Registered
2017 RT Charger
This might be an alternative option for some of you.

Registered
So I just picked my car up.

The radio was replaced for free and looks and functions great.

Here are a few things I want to share with the community regarding the replacement.

I spoke with the FCA customer care representative and told them that several other owners are having the same issue with the screen delaminating. They said that there are a number of factors taken into account when FCA decides to replace the radio or not. Some of these factors are:

Age and mileage of the car (mine was well under what they would cover)
Number of owners registered to the VIN (I am the 2nd owner)
Frequency or regularity of service visits to Dodge/Chrysler dealerships and the service representatives overall take on you as a customer (I've had a few visits for scheduled maintenance since owning the car)
Number of FCA products owned in the past (this is my first Dodge, FWIW)
Overall demeanor when interacting with FCA representatives on the phone.

I hope this helps in any way.
Frequency of visits to the dealer? What a bunch of bullshit! This will be our last dodge, chrysler, anything. Garbage cars. My wifes door panel is also fubar, another common problem with these POS's. I warned her when her chrysler 300 started drinking oil not to get another dodge, but no! Who was doing a class action lawsuit? I ordered a screen for $470 from China and the jokers sent me what looks like the correct screen only the sticker on the back reads LG LA084X01-SL02 instead of SL01. If this doesn't work i'm flying to china and beat the shit out of some tiny china man.

Registered
2017 RT Charger
Frequency of visits to the dealer? What a bunch of bullshit! This will be our last dodge, chrysler, anything. Garbage cars. My wifes door panel is also fubar, another common problem with these POS's. I warned her when her chrysler 300 started drinking oil not to get another dodge, but no! Who was doing a class action lawsuit? I ordered a screen for $470 from China and the jokers sent me what looks like the correct screen only the sticker on the back reads LG LA084X01-SL02 instead of SL01. If this doesn't work i'm flying to china and beat the shit out of some tiny china man.
The Chinaman is not the issue, here.

Also, Dude, Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian American, please.

Registered
For those interested this is the screen i ordered and it seems to work fine. I paid $50 for shipping and it got here in 4 days. I drilled a couple of holes on the inside of the ac vents to blow on the radio just in case heat was an issue. Broke a few clips on the trim piece, but other than getting that mother off the switch was pretty easy. The old screen oozed glue out the bottom. I think the problem is more the glue they used during assembly than heat. It seemed like the glue broke down. anyway i'm going to mail the broken factory screen to dodge with a bill for $470. They can either pay me or never get another dime from me. LG Display LA084X01 SL01 Monitor with Capacitive Touch screen Digitizer for 15-17 HARMAN VP4R Chrysler 300 Dodge Charger Jeep Grand Cherokee Once again **** you dodge!

Registered
2018 Charger here. Same issue. Major ghost issues almost prohibitive to even use radio. Out of warranty but clearly a defect and recall/class action case.
2017 Charger and just a few months out of warranty period, dealer didn鈥檛 want to fix it, called DodgeCare and after a few back and forths they are going to fix it. Dealership just ordered the replacement. If you haven鈥檛 called them it might be worth a shot. Good luck

Registered
2017 RT Charger
2017 Charger and just a few months out of warranty period, dealer didn鈥檛 want to fix it, called DodgeCare and after a few back and forths they are going to fix it. Dealership just ordered the replacement. If you haven鈥檛 called them it might be worth a shot. Good luck
Glad it worked out for you. I had the same experience with dodge about this if you read this thread back a few pages.

Registered
I am having same issues with 2018 charger that has the 8.4" uconnect. Was going to just replace radio. Talked to idata-link, they said the maestro for amplifier no harmon Karon would work. Now I need to pick the head unit. Has anyone used an after market radio with the 8.4" screen? If so, what radio mounting kit did you use. I may not be searching correctly, but can't kind one and crutchfield rep did have one.
Thanks!

Registered
I tried that. Her car has 73,000 miles on it so they don't care. dodge is a shit company.

Registered
We have purchased a pt cruiser, chrysler 300, fiat 500 and dodge charger, all new. We will probably purchase 4 or 5 more cars over the next 20-30 years and none of them will be a Dodge/Chrysler product. So for the price of a door panel and a touch screen dodge has lost at least $100k, dummies.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts