Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I scored an RB5 and 8.4 screen (with bezel) from a 2013 R/T today. I'm putting it in my 2014 SE. I have watched SEVERAL videos on the actual install process. Also read up on the Tazer here. However, I still have a few questions (being that I'm such a doink at electronics) and don't want to screw this up.
  1. Can I simply buy a backup camera and it work with the RB5 & Tazer? I have read the wiring harness is in the trunk. Nothing else needed, but that seems off to me. What plugs into the "outlet" on the radio?
  2. I have read that the Auto Climate Control won't work unless car came equipped with it originally. Mine didn't, so that's, that. Or, can AlphaOBD enable it? Yes or No?
  3. Anything else I need to know? I don't want any "gotcha's" as I try to install & finish this project up.
  4. I have the VIN and every single number off the RB5 and screen. My dealership is friendly and will likely give me the security code. Anything else I need for this? Or, from them?
UPDATED
Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material Everyday carry Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
888 Posts
I scored an RB5 and 8.4 screen (with bezel) from a 2013 R/T today. I'm putting it in my 2014 SE. I have watched SEVERAL videos on the actual install process. Also read up on the Tazer here. However, I still have a few questions (being that I'm such a doink at electronics) and don't want to screw this up.
  1. Can I simply buy a backup camera and it work with the RB5 & Tazer? I have read the wiring harness is in the trunk. Nothing else needed, but that seems off to me. What plugs into the "outlet" on the radio?
I am unsure. If the wiring is there a factory one should just plug in. But it will still need to be programmed in to be used (aka car has to be told it is there)
  1. I have read that the Auto Climate Control won't work unless car came equipped with it originally. Mine didn't, so that's, that. Or, can AlphaOBD enable it? Yes or No?
Technically yes. However you will not have true auto as you lack In Cabin Temps sensors, and humdity sensor, and possible the newer/uprated HVAC control module. If you leave your stock HVAC controls in, it will work just fine. The only differance in my 2011 Pursuit with a 2013 RB5 is on the climate page the sliders stay at 22C. If I manually slide them it will show a F temp, but they revert back to the 22C. HOWEVER the temp does move. Perosnally it's not worth the hassle to get a half working a/c with the auto deal when stock works fine.

1. Anything else I need to know? I don't want any "gotcha's" as I try to install & finish this project up.
Being a 13 Should have little to no real issues I can think of.
  1. I have the VIN and every single number off the RB5 and screen. My dealership is friendly and will likely give me the security code. Anything else I need for this? Or, from them?
They should give it to you long as you have the donor car VIN, and the Radio Part and Serial Numbers (I would just take the radio into dealer)
UPDATED
Answer in above quote...

AlfaOBD will be use however in setting up SRT pages in the radio. Far as the NAV goes the latest and last update was marketed as a 2020 but only has 2018 Road maps. They disocntiued it. May find it on ebay. Comes on a USB stick and gets locked to your radio. Garmin will mostly likely have a Firware update for the unit. (Latest is CTP17)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great news! I did the swap & got everything I wanted working today. Dealership wouldn't give me the code, so I paid $10 for one. $49 for AlfaOBD. And, life is grand! :cool: 8.4 screen, bezel & radio unit + AlfaOBD for $59 total. Performance Pages are working, too. Woot!

Speedometer Car Vehicle Gear shift White

·
Registered
888 Posts
Wells that's nice.

But you didn't get a RB5. You got a RE2 non nav.

Reactions: CharlieJ

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wells that's nice.
But you didn't get a RB5. You got a RE2 non nav.
Yeah, I found that out after posting the original. There is so much bad info on the Net. I read that any of these units with TWO antenna receptacles is capable of Nav and SAT. Some websites even show this part # as an RB5. But, that's not true. The 2nd antenna could be purely a SAT antenna. That's what I have. I even went to the Dealer Menu in hopes I might be able to turn on Nav. But, no joy. All-in-all, I still got a great deal. I traded the guy, who has been very good to me, my stock halogen headlights for everything. Thanks @CE9311 for always being helpful.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Yeah, I found that out after posting the original. There is so much bad info on the Net. I read that any of these units with TWO antenna receptacles is capable of Nav and SAT. Some websites even show this part # as an RB5. But, that's not true. The 2nd antenna could be purely a SAT antenna. That's what I have. I even went to the Dealer Menu in hopes I might be able to turn on Nav. But, no joy. All-in-all, I still got a great deal. I traded the guy, who has been very good to me, my stock halogen headlights for everything. Thanks @CE9311 for always being helpful.
Yeah, the Sat Radio and GPS work on same antenna port. And there are antennas that do just GPS, and XM radio. And then some that just do XM radio for whatever reason.

NAV is a hardware deal. But you can always find an RB5 out there. Really suggest a 13 or 14 no matter what!

Also note, alfaOBD can pull your airbag codes. On our years the connectors under the seat can cause it. Pull em apart blow out and re connect firm see if it goes away.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also note, alfaOBD can pull your airbag codes. On our years the connectors under the seat can cause it. Pull em apart blow out and re connect firm see if it goes away.
Since my car was in an accident prior to my buying it, I always thought the airbag light was bc the rear side airbags had deployed, but were not replaced. That's an assumption on my part. I'll do as you said and see if that clears up the light. THANKS!

·
Registered
152 Posts
If the air bags weren't replaced thst will definitely trigger the light. Someone had said before that sometimes the seat belt sensor can also trigger the light if they were in a hard accident and not reset or replaced.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the air bags weren't replaced thst will definitely trigger the light. Someone had said before that sometimes the seat belt sensor can also trigger the light if they were in a hard accident and not reset or replaced.
Do you have any idea of I can reset the seat belt sensor using AlfaOBD?

·
100k Mile Club
2012 Rallye Blacktop
11,825 Posts
Do you have any idea of I can reset the seat belt sensor using AlfaOBD?
You talking about the chime when you don't have it on? If so, you can disable it without the AlfaOBD.

1. With the ignition switch in any position except On or Start, buckle the driver side front seat belt.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the On position and wait for the seatbelt indicator reminder function to conclude (about six seconds).

3. Unbuckle and buckle the driver side front seat belt three or more times, ending with the belt buckled.

4. Turn the ignition switch to any position except On or Start to toggle the beltminder feature from its current setting (from active to inactive, or from inactive to active). A single chime tone will provide an audible confirmation that the programming sequence has been successfully completed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You talking about the chime when you don't have it on? If so, you can disable it without the AlfaOBD.

1. With the ignition switch in any position except On or Start, buckle the driver side front seat belt.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the On position and wait for the seatbelt indicator reminder function to conclude (about six seconds).

3. Unbuckle and buckle the driver side front seat belt three or more times, ending with the belt buckled.

4. Turn the ignition switch to any position except On or Start to toggle the beltminder feature from its current setting (from active to inactive, or from inactive to active). A single chime tone will provide an audible confirmation that the programming sequence has been successfully completed.
No he means when the seat belt sensor triggers the airbag light after an accident.
I don't think alfa can do that but never had a reason to try thankfully.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@BigJuice55, that isn't quite was I was referring to, but I appreciate the information. I'll keep this. THANKS!
I was trying to find out if AlfaOBD can reset the seat belt sensor that might cause an airbag warning (per @MikesDodge).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, the only other thing not working is my A/C. It blows HOT air, instead of cold. Regular vent/fan air is ambient temp (from outside). Temp slider can be moved and shows the relative temp, then quickly goes back to 22C. I have seen the resolution for this several times, but never paid attention because I wasn't going to do the upgrade back then. Now, I can't seem to find the fix using any search parameters. Ugh!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Oh, the only other thing not working is my A/C. It blows HOT air, instead of cold. Regular vent/fan air is ambient temp (from outside). Temp slider can be moved and shows the relative temp, then quickly goes back to 22C. I have seen the resolution for this several times, but never paid attention because I wasn't going to do the upgrade back then. Now, I can't seem to find the fix using any search parameters. Ugh!
Did you keep your stock hvac controls? I left mine in place swapped radio changed nothing and mine works fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you keep your stock hvac controls? I left mine in place swapped radio changed nothing and mine works fine.
I didn't swap out the controls. The originals are there. Oddly enough, A/C was working today. Nice & cold. Maybe it was one of those "the car has to update the settings" things that took a couple days. Weird, but I have read that happening over & over with folks swapping 4.3" to 8.4" and AlfaOBD settings, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts