Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you low mileage guys relax, there's a lot of life in that Hemi if you treat her right. Here's an engine oil analysis I had done at 87,000 miles. Yes I went 10k miles on one oil change and I know there's at least a couple others on here running Quantum Blue oil as well. Enjoy :TU:

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Thats pretty awesome, are you going to keep the 10,000 mi changes? or was this a one time thing to see how well it did?

Haven't heard of quantum blue?

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
What does this oil analysis mean? What are good/bad factors?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats pretty awesome, are you going to keep the 10,000 mi changes? or was this a one time thing to see how well it did?

Haven't heard of quantum blue?
Well it looks like the 10,000 miles worked out pretty well from the analysis so I'll go another 10k on this oil change and reevaluate. Quantum Blue is made by BND Automotive, they'll custom blend you an oil based on your engine, location, driving habits, and a lot of other stuff that they would be better at explaining than me!

What does this oil analysis mean? What are good/bad factors?
I actually was just going off of what was said in the comments section at the top but here is a copy and paste from what Brian (owner of BND automotive) had to say about it:

"Whenever you look at an oil sample, there are a few key things you want to review after the professional opinion of the oil lab.

1st is Lead. Lead only comes from one place and that is bearings. With your sample only having 1 part per million (1ppm), you would want to divide that by 10 to get the number per 1000 miles which in your case is .1 ppm. No wear!

Next is Iron. This tells you what is coming off the block/cylinder walls, crank, cam etc. In your case, 15 ppm div by 10 = 1.5 ppm per 1000 miles. No wear!

Aluminum at 2 and Chromium at 1, both are virtually non existant here. Aluminum is piston, Chromium is ring. Again no wear!

Now copper would be a worrisome thing at 42 as that would normally indicate bearing wear as our bearings have a steel back, then plated with copper, then aluminum, and then finally babbit (lead). If we had a very large amount of lead...35 to 70 ppm then this copper would be a bad thing. However, the 5.7L and the 6.1L have large copper oil coolers that release copper as a normal consequence of oil flow. We tend to have higher numbers of copper as we clean out and suspend it from the coolers anyway. This will reduce as the time goes on.....using QuantumBlue. So normal here and really only 4.2 ppm per 1000 miles....very acceptable!

The Molybdenum in the sample at 30 ppm is coming from the piston skirt. The 5.7 and 6.1 have moly coating to reduce scuffing and wear on the cylinder as these pistons are short to begin with. This is a normal consequence of running the car and at 30 ppm, that is 3 ppm per 1000 miles. It would take 700,000 miles of driving to begin to get down to the piston itself at this rate. Very good number.

Nickel is valve wear...which at 1 ppm is again .1 ppm per 1000 miles.....no wear here either.

The Boron is left over from the other oils you had in the past as we do not add any boron as an additive package.

Sodium is not an additive we put in our oils, but is left over from the previous oils you have used. Could also be just a minute trace of coolant that may have been in the system just bouncing around from assembly here but not a worry at all.

Silicone is dirt and it shows that your air filter is keeping particles down sufficiently so that is good.

Still had plenty of calcium carbonate left at 2183.

Magnesium at 47 is still very good. We upped the Magnesium on this last oil for you at the 12.5w32 so we will see how that functions for you in the next sample.

Your anti-wear of Neutral Phosphorous is very good at 3713.

The Zinc (ZnDDP) is still at 870...which is right at where Mobil 1 and others start out!! So still plenty of anti-scuff/anti-rust compounds with the TBN coming in just at .5 so yea, wearing out and time for a change.....which you did.

Great overall sample and a thumbs up from us and the oil lab."

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
So how did you get into contact with these guys to get you a custom oil?

and how did you send in your sample? did they supply a vial, or did you get one? It could be pretty cool to do this on a frequent basis.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
No problem :TU:

So how did you get into contact with these guys to get you a custom oil?

and how did you send in your sample? did they supply a vial, or did you get one? It could be pretty cool to do this on a frequent basis.
You can check out the website, it's www.bndautomotive.com. Give Brian a call or shoot him an email using the contact info on there, he knows his stuff and will be able to help you out. The oil analysis was done with Blackstone Labs which is a non biased independent third party company that does oil analysis. I ordered the testing kit off their website. All their info is on their website as well www.blackstone-labs.com. I plan on doing this at my next oil change as well to help keep an eye on my engine since I'll be nearing 100k miles.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this is what scares me with adding milage idk how these cars are as they get older..
There are some higher mileage LX's out there and I think for the most part they have been holding up well. I saw one guy with an 05 Mag about to hit 200k who drag races and even tows a trailer sometimes and the engine is doing just fine. I'll hit 100k within the next year probably.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts