Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been totally impressed at how good my 2007 R/T runs and looks...like it's still brand new, with 126K on it?

But my A/C failed last week. It has been in a private shop all week, and finally, they say it is ready. But they said the valve that lets in outside air, or closes to recirculate has failed. They say the dash has to come out to get to it. Does that sound right. I am familiar with old cars that had a diaphragm in the right kick panel that opened and closed by vacuum. Does anyone know if that is correct? They said they wired it shut so it is constantly recirculating and blocking outside air.

Anyone know where I might find more info on this? And yes, I am starting to wish I had gone back to the dealer!

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,570 Posts
Sounds like either an actuator or blend door. There are 3, if it is a door there is a chance the dash will have to disassembled.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
they said the valve that lets in outside air, or closes to recirculate has failed.
Depends on which part they identified as a "valve". As DodgeGuy said, it could be a actuator or a door. There's the mode-door & actuator, blend-doors & actuators, recirculation-door & actuator. Actuators can be replaced without removing the entire dash ... just certain panels (e.g. glove box or instrument panel silencer ... depending on whether it's the passenger side or driver side).

Replacing the doors is a different situation.
The air distribution housing must be removed from the HVAC housing and disassembled for service of the mode-door & blend-doors. The air inlet housing must be removed from the HVAC housing and disassembled for service of the recirculation-door. These procedures require removal of the instrument panel.

Reactions: dodgeguy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shop said "needs upper hvac housing with recirc. door and actuator oe 95.45
Recommend doing evaporator while out 99.10 and drier 40.18, labor 5.5, $791.22 total

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Shop said "needs upper hvac housing with recirc. door and actuator oe 95.45
Recommend doing evaporator while out 99.10 and drier 40.18, labor 5.5, $791.22 total
That is pretty good price, if it is that far apart I would do the evaporator as well.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only good part, is it puts out a constant 30 degree air from the vents when set on 72 and auto. Now if I could just get my wife to leave it on 72 and auto! She always turns the fan on high and turns the temp all the way down, even though on auto it automatically turns the fan speed to high and produces 30 degree air.

·
Registered
424 Posts
This summer it should be no problem running in recirc mode all the time. But this winter, your windows may fog up without fresh air. Your shop sounds like they did a pretty good job. The dealer would have done the same and been more money, especially if they pulled the dash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts