Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It appears Spyder applies a fine plastic layer on top of the housings to protect them from debris. This is all well and good but after about 2 years my Spyder housings started to look pretty diminished.. closer inspection reveals that this plastic layer has hazed and peeled. I contacted Spyder to find out the best way to get rid of it.. They recommended just a power ball and polish. As it turns out, you need to do a lot more than that.. You will actually need to sand down your headlights and restore them (just like you would to restore hazed oem lights) I bought the Mothers brand kit that had 800, 1500 and 3000 grit sanding discs and powerball with polish. As 800 and 1500 need to be sprayed while sanding, it's hard to protect your surroundings. I suggest clear tape and bend the ends for easy peel (the more the better.)

I'm really happy with the results. I would recommend that anyone who does this, consider applying a clear plastic protectant after. example: http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
4,390 Posts
Man that looks good, reps on the DIYer

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wow, they look like new again! Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Good work brother!!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to have them turning heads again!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Great job they look brand new! Rep sent your way.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Looks great! While the plastic headlights are nice, as they can be molded to fit the car in any form, they do haze rather quickly unlike their glass predecessors. I can't help but laugh at all the Japanese cars with giant bulging headlights, even covering a portion of the hood and fender area, reminds me of a pug or giant locust going down the road and boy are they in for some serious hazing! We are fortunate our Chargers' headlights are vertical and don't receive direct sunlight.

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,623 Posts
Nice job and great info, sucks you had to do it already though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again everyone! I appreciate all the reps.

I can't help but laugh at all the Japanese cars with giant bulging headlights, even covering a portion of the hood and fender area, reminds me of a pug or giant locust going down the road

1 - 11 of 11 Posts