Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my R/T as my daily driver. Like most morning, I brought cereal and some milk for breakfast at work on Friday. In a bonehead move, I set my lunchbox on the back seat, and you can probably guess what happened. I realized it as soon as I got to work and took a half day so I could deal with the spill.

It appeared to be contained on the back seat cushion, so I removed that. The acoustic insulation underneath was soaked, so I just tore it out and have more on order. I sopped up everything I could see and sprayed the sheetmetal with disinfectant. I took the seat and flushed it out with hot water and diluted vinegar, then let it sit covered in baking soda. I checked the seat yesterday and there was a faint milk smell, so I redid he process with more vinegar and hot water and let it flush for twice as long.

Now the bad part....the car interior smells, but I can't pinpoint where its coming from. My guess it that it dripped into the cableway along the rear driver's side door. My question is, is there anything electrical in that area that isn't waterproof? I might resort to dumping Nature's Miracle or something similar to let it soak through. I can clean around the fuel pump easily enough, but I have no access anywhere else.

I know, bonehead move, but if you have any suggestions I'd sure love to hear them.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Damn..I know thats a sour smell..I wish I had advice for you I dont think I ever spilled any thing in my car..n this is my first car with cloth seats..lol..time to redo your rear seats sou ds like bro...good luck with this

·
Registered
947 Posts
I spilled milk in the trunk before, tried to wipe it up immediately but it still caught the whole milk funk after 24 hours. On a whim I sprayed the trunk liner with disinfectant... 24 hours later, no more funk.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Lesson learned! Don't take smelly things into your ride! lol...sorry bro, keep cleaning, you will eventually get rid of the smell, or get used to it

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Damn...and here I thought life was tough when I spilled a sack of dry cat food in my trunk.
About 2 weeks after I got my car, I had discovered the grocery hooks inside the trunk, decided to utilize them! Great idea huh?
Well, I had bought some Arizona ice tea in the cans, they were in those bags that were hanging from the hooks, and I had bought some 12 packs of soda that I just placed on the floor of the trunk...yup, new car, taking turns faster than normal to see how she handles. I get home, trunk is soaked in ice tea, and it all poured down into the spare tire well. The 12 packs slid and the sharp corners of the box punctured the cans, lesson learned! BUT, at least ice tea, doesn't leave a smell like milk would:(

·
Registered
782 Posts
I flooded my trunk back on Halloween during the flooding here just south of Austin.

We'd just gotten back from a trip, and one of my sons thought he'd be nice and take the luggage out of the trunk. Pretty nice, but apparently he forgot to close the lid while it was pouring rain. When he when to school the next day, he saw the lid up and closed it for me - but didn't say anything!

Luckily, there were still a couple of bags in the trunk that were SOAKED when we took them out later that morning. I felt how wet the carpet was, and lifted up the lid. There was water up to the top of the spare tire...

I sucked it out with a shop vac, then let it dry for a couple of days with the trunk open. I was really freaking out because the fuse box was submerged, but luckily, the top of the battery was still dry.

It took about a week for the wet-dog smell to go away, and knock on wood, I don't think anything bad happened to the fuse box.

The worst part of it all was that I didn't know how the water got there in the first place, because my son never thought to tell me. I even had the dealership check it out to see if there were any leaks!

·
Dave
3,633 Posts
I flooded my trunk back on Halloween during the flooding here just south of Austin.

We'd just gotten back from a trip, and one of my sons thought he'd be nice and take the luggage out of the trunk. Pretty nice, but apparently he forgot to close the lid while it was pouring rain. When he when to school the next day, he saw the lid up and closed it for me - but didn't say anything!

Luckily, there were still a couple of bags in the trunk that were SOAKED when we took them out later that morning. I felt how wet the carpet was, and lifted up the lid. There was water up to the top of the spare tire...

I sucked it out with a shop vac, then let it dry for a couple of days with the trunk open. I was really freaking out because the fuse box was submerged, but luckily, the top of the battery was still dry.

It took about a week for the wet-dog smell to go away, and knock on wood, I don't think anything bad happened to the fuse box.

The worst part of it all was that I didn't know how the water got there in the first place, because my son never thought to tell me. I even had the dealership check it out to see if there were any leaks!
Wow... sadly, it sounds like something that I would do as a kid - make a mistake, notice it, and hide it from my parents. As stupid as it sounds now, it sort of made sense at the time... maybe... Either way, glad to know that you haven't had any issues yet.

I haven't had anything spill or break open in my car yet, though there was a close call with some beer (double-whammy...), luckily it was in bottles and it reminded me that I had precious cargo, as I've learned to ignore the girlfriend's screaming. :D My brother, however, was not so lucky with his Escape... he bought it used, knowing that it was a rental, and the seats had some marks and stains on them, but he was hauling what was left of some paint to drop it off somewhere, but forgot about it for a few days. Then, one hot, summer day, the lids popped and because they had been bouncing around a little, there was paint around the lip of the lid, so it sprayed the whole back cargo area of the car. It's pretty much a dalmatian interior now, haha. Not going to get good trade-in value on it like that, lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So an update, I found the source of the smell. It ran down the wireway along the seat into the rear drivers side foot well. The carpet is fine, but the foam insulation underneath is soaked. I tore half of it out last night and I'll finish this weekend. Unfortunately the foam supports the carpet, so I'll probably have to have an upholstery shop reinsulate it when I'm done cleaning. I can't believe how big of a mess it made. Take care of your Chargers!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Final Update: Problem is solved, everything worked out okay. Here's what I ended up doing:

1. For the seat, I had to remove all of the covering from the seat foam on the drivers side of the rear bench. I then put it in the tub and ran diluted bleach through the foam. This discolored the foam, but left it intact and completely eliminated the smell. The key was to use a ton of product, I had to soak every little pore in the foam to get the smell out. I was careful not to get any on the seat cloth, although I did a test before to see if it would stain the cloth and it didn't.

2. I had to rip up the carpet in the rear seat floor pan. Fortunately, the spill was contained to the pan. I was worried it had traveled further up to the driver's seat, but it didn't. The foam insulation is glued to the underside of the carpet, so I just had to tear that off by hand. I washed the floor pan and the underside of the carpet with Nature's Miracle, and then household cleaner and let it dry. I bought a big square of 1" open-cell foam to replace the previous stuff. I didn't bother gluing it to the carpet, I just cut it to size and shoved it where it needed to go. I had to cut a few pieces to cover the vertical sections of the floor pan. I also bought more acoustic insulation for under the bench. I just cut that to fit, popped the seat back in, and I was done.

All in all, you'd never be able to tell anything happened. The floor pan is a little softer because the foam I got wasn't as firm as what was there, but I have the all-weather mats so I doubt anyone would even notice. Also, any and all liquids are now carried on the floor mat and wedged into place so they can't tip over!

·
400 cubes of Goodness!!!
10,995 Posts
Man lesson lerned the hard way, glad you got it all fixed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Glad you got that fixed. Spoiled milk stink is awful!

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed up!!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
u can try taking an open bowel of vinager set it inside with all the windows up overnight ive read it is supposed to get smells out,worth a try!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts